New Polder Thermometer

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I just purchased a new Polder thermometer that has one probe that measures both the temprature of meat as well as the temprature of the grill.
Has anyone one used this dual purpose thermometer. I am curious as to the accuracy.

Unfortunately, that thermo is notorious for problems, accuracy aside. The new Maverick ET-73-- a remote pager model-- has gotten some good notices, but uses a dual wire setup for the dual measurements.

Thanks Doug.
I have yet to open the package so I may just return it to the store.

I just bought the same Polder thermometer. First thing I did was put in a good alkaline battery, and stick the probe in ice water. Temp measured 33 degrees. Then I boiled some water and measured. 213 degrees. So, for now anyway, the one I have is pretty darned accurate.

I've seen a lot of bad reviews on that dual Polder - in earlier posts here, on the KCBS board, and on the various review websites. I HIGHLY recommend the Maverick ET-73 instead. I ordered mine the day they became available, and have used it on about 16 cooks so far. It's already been dropped, had grease dripped on it, had a pecan log dropped on top of it... shall we say, it takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'. Both probes are still accurate to within 1*, according to ice water and boiling water tests.

I give the Maverick ET-73 two ribs up!

Keri C
Smokin on Tulsa Time

I just returned that thermometer today. It worked about halfway through its first cook and then died (my butt plateaued around 165? then shot up to 432?). The rest of the week it registered the temp in my house at 257?! /infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif I'm ordering the Redi-Chek from gadgetsource.com. Have read nothing but rave reviews.

I got one of those Polder dual-readout thermometers and used it at the NKC BBQ Contest earlier this year...first use of the thermometer. After about 2 hours both readouts were over 300 degrees, but the actual temp was around 100. I returned mine to the place I got it and am going to order one of the Mavericks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back