New owner with some questions... May be long! (It is)

Casey

So I bought my first real gas grill, a Genesis Silver B. I own a couple of Q's for camping and such, but really small and single or 2 burner won't feed us. I have 7 kids and want to learn this gas grill for the convenience. So I'm sure you'll be seeing a lot of dumb questions from me, but this isn't charcoal. I'm hoping with this bigger grill, maybe some of the same from the coal fire will apply. It doesn't really on the Q's. But enough about my ignorance of cooking with gas and on to my ignorance of this grill I just bought.
Genesis Silver B in black. Really like the looks, wish it had a side burner and another swing up table but I can live without both. Seams to be in pretty good condition save a castor wheel is missing. Grills cleaned up shiny and new(er) looking, think they are original Weber stainless. Flavorizer bars are porcelain and look pretty good save where the lava rocks were wedged between them. So that's my first question... Do I need to buy more lava rocks or can I skip those and just use the bars? Second question, does anyone use the racks that are on and in the top of the grill? This has 2, one on the back of the grill box and one swinging from the lid. They are both pretty rusty and definitely not stainless, but I could probably clean them up and season them to use if they are handy for something. Also, I need a good list of the must have stuff to make this thing work. I'd like to try adding some smoke to it and think I would like to get a rotisserie and learn to use that. I'm not asking about tools, I have those from my charcoal grill, just some suggestions on what will make this grill work easier for me (though I'm always on the lookout for better tools, too, so don't hold back if you want to share!). I've been reading some of the restorations on here, very impressive, and I think I may do a repaint on the box at some point, but it's good enough for now. Or maybe if I learn this one I'll just get a newer one. I doubt it though, I'm not a big stainless fan. Thanks, look forward to learning how to use a gas grill and the ins and outs of the Weber!

First, don't put rocks in the grill. As for other techniques, since the grill has east west burners it's ideal for rotisserie. You can buy a smoke tube or just wrap some wood chips in foil and poke some holes in it. I sometimes just throw a couple wood chunks on the flavorizor bars and let them go. I've used the racks a few times but when I don't have a use for them they just kinda get in the way. At least the one sitting over the main grilling area. I saw someone using the rack on the lid for potatoes. I know others will have a lot to add. Just figured I'd throw a couple things out there.

Thanks Jason, I was hoping I could forgo the rocks. I may try the foil pack on top of the flavor bars for some wood chips. I hadn't thought of sticking wood straight on top of the bars, have a few apple limbs I may just try that this week. Never have done potatoes on the grill, but I'll get over to the cooking forum and ask there. I was just seeing if I should put the energy into cleaning them up, guess it won't take very long and even if I don't use them I'd rather they be clean looking. I'm going to research what rotisserie to get and spring for a good one, because it was a ham cooked this way that even got me looking into these grills in the first place. Think I will use that often enough once I figure out what I need.

No lava rocks. If you want to put wood in for smoke, best to use wood chips or similar and wrap them in a foil pack or you can use one of those disposable aluminum drip trays with a foil cover. Don't wedge pieces between the flavorizer bars. They will ignite and burn up quick with little smoke.
I use this in my Genesis: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002WJIQGW/?tag=TVWB-20
And yes, you want a rotisserie.

20191128 Thanksgiving Turkey on Rotisserie - 90 minutes.JPG

Hi Bruce. That bird looks fantastic! When you fill up your chip box how long will it smoke? That seems like a nice solution and easy to use.

It depends on how long it will smoke based on how hot I have the front burner. I can prolong it by covering the vent holes on top as well. On a turkey, I will fill it once, sometimes twice. Usually once is plenty for a turkey or you get too much of a smoke taste on poultry. Ribs and stuff like that do well with a second load. I use mostly apple as it is a good all around wood for smoking and is somewhat mild compared to the Oaks, Hickorys and Mesquites. Plus, I have a good supply of it. haha

Don't wedge pieces between the flavorizer bars. They will ignite and burn up quick with little smoke
It's not ideal but I've done it. That's why I made sure to mention smoke tube, or foil wrapped. However I never thought about the ash being corrosive until I just read Larry's post.

Yes, the old charred lava rocks were kinda corrosive also. They may have thrown charcoal in at some point, I didn't think lava rocks would crumble up like that. But I got it cleaned up enough to cook on it, but will require a strip and repaint fairly soon. That is good news on the smoker box, going to order one now. I use apple and pecan because those are the trees I have that shed limbs! Thanks for the tips everyone.

7 kids???? You must be a man of infinite patience!

The only criticism I have of the smoker box that Bruce shows is that, on a 5 bar firebox like the Silver B/C has, with the smoker box running E-W as shown, you can't open the lid on the smoker box to add more chips without removing both grill grates. The same company offers a shorter version, and I think one or two of those is a better option for the 5 bar boxes.

Smoker Box.jpg

Last edited:
Good Idea Ed. I'll see if I can get a couple shorter ones to use while grilling. Yeah, seven. Patience is an acquired taste, for sure, but 6 girls and 1 boy will make sure you have an appetite for it!

Back