New owner of a Q 220

TOM BAUER

TVWBB Pro
Well, I kind of wanted a Q 120 for a RV, But Craigslist had a Q220 for $100, so I thought that would work fine, just a litter bigger than the Q120.
When I met up with the seller, He opened the back of his wagon and there it was, pretty clean, looked good. He also threw in the cover, the rolling stand, the griddle, (missing one of the griddle legs), and a 20# tank with an adapter hose.
I thought I did pretty good on the purchase, but I am spoiled by my Q300 and Q320 and the way they heat up.
I looked at the chart by Mark R-S on the Q forum, and discovered why the Q200/220 doesn’t get as hot. It’s the lower BTU’s per square inch that makes the difference it looks like.
So I wonder, after reading thru several forum posts that the Q200 series is notorious for this, I wondered if anyone has solved this problem.
Could the burner tube be drilled out a little larger to increase the BTU’s? Or would a different regulator solve the problem?
Otherwise, I’m pretty happy with the purchase so far, although it lights harder than the Q300’s but I thought I would post this to the forum to get some answers from the experts.

You got a great deal. Congratulations. I own a Q200 and a Q220. From what I understand, the 200 series doesn't get quite as hot as the Q100 or Q300 grills, but, to be honest, I've never had a heat problem with this grill. It works like a charm. Were I you, I wouldn't spend another second worrying about an almost imperceptible difference between the grills. Your Q220 will more than get the job done.

Bill

I agree with Bill. You really did get a great deal on the grill and everything else that he threw in on the deal.

most of the heat issues were due to the valve in the tank. need to open the tank valve slowly and then wait several minutes.
due to the extra burner the 300 is bound to get hotter. my q220 always gets over 500-550. that more than enough to cook whatever i want.
this winter it was about 40 outside and it still got near 500 and cooked with no problems.

+1 THIS!! Lettting that regulator fill with propane before lighting is the most important part or you will not have a good flame or control over high and low flame. Open the propane tank then just leave it alone for about 2 min before lighting the burner up. Mine gets plenty hot to sear meat and I have cooked plenty on times on mine with no issue.

Back