New OTG 26 or a WSM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KenA

TVWBB Member
I've been lamenting over which grill to buy next. Up till last week, it was going to be the WSM because I already have a OTS 22 and I wanted to get a more smoke ready rig to round out the arsenault.

Then I started to think about the OTG 26 as an option. I've cooked on kettles for years, and successfully smoked a couple of briskets, whole chikens etc.. As you know, the kettle can do it all, but requires alot more attention to do a good smoke than a WSM would. I only usually cook for small groups and not a mass, but wouldn't mind having that option too.

Do you think that the OTG 26, with its larger size, could offer all I need? More space for a brisket or spares along with more room for everything else I might of cooked on the OTS 22.

I am alread envisioning a mod for the OTG 26. Laying my spare 18 grate on top of the coal holders (under the 26 grate), and setting up my spare 22 grate above the 26 grate (somehow), all to increase capacity ala the WSM. Picking one side to put the coals in, and the other 2/3 for the food to allow indirect smoking. Hope you're able to follow what I am thinking. And all this is only if I find I am cooking for the masses.

I tend do think that I might be able to do all I need on the OTG 26!

Please offer your opinions and concerns.

Thanks
KenA

If it was my money, I would say get the 2008 WSM for around $225 and a 18 OTS for $69 and you still come in under the $299 for the 26 OTG. You get more space for grilling/occasional smoking(OTS) as well as the best smoker for your money(WSM). Thats what I would do with my $299.

Ken,

Take it from someone who went from smoking on the OTS to the WSM, there's nothing like getting is started, going to bed and waking up to perfect BBQ. The WSM is so effortless and in my opinion produces even better results than the kettle.

I agree with Justin, get an 18" WSM.

I agree with Ken.

I have all three now and love them. But you will get more form the WSM and your 22" then if you get the 26.5"

I purchased the 26.5" because I grill for 4 or more quit often.

I would'nt get rid of the WSM for nothing. (well maybe for the new 22" WSM)

If you already have a kettle get the WSM, they are two different animals and each work perfectly for what they were made.

i have both and i'd say definately get the wsm if only getting one. if getting both get the wsm first.
the 26 costs twice what a 22 otg does for about 40% more space. that being said i knew i had to have one. i have a couple 26 bowls that came damaged and i keep dreaming of a 26 wsm
icon_eek.gif

doubt i'll ever see that happen tho. the ss cooking grate for the 26 is $75 and the charcoal grate is $40. the lady at weber told me to use them as planters!

I love the WSM. Use to use a big stick burner for competitions, then went to the WSM's. We have turned out some excellent Q. Dont get me wrong...I love stick burners...they are great. But...dollar for dollar, quality...sleep, simple use, low fuel..the WSM can not be beat for the price! It is an excellent product...get ya one...you wont regret it.

Go on Craigslist and get two stainless steel Performers. If you look for a while you should be able to find them for $50 each. You'll have much more space than the 26" OTG and it'll be cheaper.

Bill

sounds like you have your heart set on the 26" grill, but like others have said since you dont have a wsm I would get it. And I personally would buy a 22" performer over the 26 grill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back