new manifold?

Brad-WA

Hi all -

I have a Spirit II E-310 that took an unfortunate tumble during a wind storm. It fell on its face. The panel with the knobs was bent pretty decent and the knobs were difficult to turn. I was able to take everything apart, clean it up and get it back together. Tested for leaks at fittings and all appears good. Electric start works fine.

The dilemma is that adjusting the knobs does not adjust the flame - only get flame on or flame off. Any other adjustments that can be made or do I have a manifold replacement in the near future?

Thanks!

Check the plastic control knobs first. The valve stems are thin and it’s possible the knobs may be stripped or cracked. The knobs should give out before the valve stems.

Great point - I think I tried adjusting the gas flow without the knobs attached with the same result of nothing adjusting. But now I'm not sure. I'll test again without the knobs attached and update.

Did you use any grease or lubricant on the valves when you put it back together? If so, you may have obstructed gas flow somehow. Only other thing I can think of is that somehow everything didn't go back together quite right.

If it is all three burners, then I would not expect it to be the valves as it is unlikely they all got damaged the same.

Do the knobs appear to turn normally to all the correct positions? Are there any obvious issues there? Are there any differences between the burners?

Odds are the little coupling piece inside the "cone" is broken off from the fall. Only thing you are likely to be able to do is replace the manifold

No grease or lubricant when putting it back together. It lights and runs without too much trouble, which makes me believe tank and regulator are good (almost full tank). It did fall flat on the face, so all three knobs were impacted. No differences that I can tell between the burners, they light and don't adjust in the same way. I did take the knobs off and turning the stems results in same. It does look like the brass stems have been pinch together.

A little windy, but you can see the stem being turned and no change to flame - http://fourandfive.com/grill.mp4
Alternate thought -- am I expecting to drastic of an adjustment in flame and the issue is all in my head?

Thanks to everyone!

.IMG_7778.JPGIMG_7777.JPGIMG_7779.JPG

The flames look good to me. The burner tubes seem to be installed correctly. They should be able to move back and forth towards the manifold for expansion and contraction.

Did the fall change the angle of the gas delivery? Would that even matter?

You might be better off doing nothing for now. I wouldn’t want to end up with weak flames from attempting to tune the burners

Those valve stems should be apart slightly. That is what holds the knobs on. But that wont affect the flames. The video of the flames looks good. Kind of hard to tell in the daylight. But, I would light it, put the burners on low and shut the lid. When the temp stabilizes, note what temp it is at. Then turn the burners on high and wait for it to stabilize again. The temp should go up 200 or so degrees.

Looks like point for Bruce and my worry was all in my head. I ran the grill on low for about 10min and it got up to 500°, then 10min at high and it pegged the thermometer well over the 600° mark (no flavorizer bars or grates in the grill, just bare tubes). It seems I was paranoid about not seeing a more distinct difference in the size of the flames. I'm putting it back together and will be testing it out this week with a new griddle.

Thanks all for the input - saved me some money and some sanity.

Back