New Kingsford - happy customer

Jeff_S

TVWBB Fan
I have had the smoker filled with new kingsford (with a single layer of old kingsford on the bottom) going at 220 degrees for 15 hours now, and I have not had to stir the coals or anything. New stuff seems to be working great for me so far.

18 hours with the smoker filled to overflowing with the new kingsford (as mentioned, I did have the rest of my old stuff at the very bottom - just about 1 layer) and it ran at 220 on the grate without an issue. Thats with 35 pounds of meat in there...I think I could get about 3 or 4 more hours out of it, but the butts are done, so I shut it down. It will be interesting to see how much charcoal remains.

Chalk another smile up for me.

I just finished smoking some spares. My first time using the new kingsford in the WSM (I've been a lump user for a couple of years). I am all smiles with new product, this was the easiest time I've had controlling temperature in a long time (maybe ever!), I just had to make one minor tweak in my vents at the beginning, then it stayed spot on my target temp for the duration of the cook.

Anton

I have been following the running battle here about the new Kingsford. I have used the new version many times without any problem-only good results. Saturday I did an overnight smoke of a Brisket and it turned out great. Almost 20 hours after it was lit the smoker was still quite warm.

Good results here too. It seems to produce less ash and the vents need to be closed a little more.

Time to see if Lowes still has it on sale.

Jim

I too, closely monitored the debate over the new Kingsford. I did an overnight, 18 hour cook Sat/Sun with terrific success using the new Kingsford charcoal. I did, however, take Chris A's advice on cutting back on the number of lit coals used.

It's all about air flow...

You're going to find differing experiences with the new K good and middle and bad...this includes myself which, now 5 tries with it, I've had good, so-so, and a bad experience(s) with it...

I think it comes down to this...air flow...wind is enemy #1 for all fuel and the new K is somewhat less forgiving...it doesn't perform as well as the old K in open conditions...especially with a breeze...but when I used my wind/weatherscreen it performs very well...but those are conclusions from my own experience...so...ya just adjust!

If you have a less than air tight WSM...adjust...if it's breezy...adjust...simply adjust for the characteristics of the fuel you have on hand (K, lump charcoal, old shoes, whatever...
icon_smile.gif
)...and the characteristics of your personal WSM...and you will not go wrong...

While the new K most cetainly isn't the wonderful old K...it's problems are a somewhat overblown...use what you prefer...and have on hand...that is reasonably priced...and ADJUST
icon_smile.gif
...(try a quality lump sometime as well!
icon_wink.gif
)...

Enjoy your Memorial Day folks...remember what it's all about!

Yeah, air flow is key. On my cook yesterday I was suprised at how little I had the vents open. 2 of them shut completely and one open just a crack for most of the cook. Very rainy out, not sure if that had anything to do with my success.

Anton

I used the new last night for a pork butt cook. I started around 9 PM with 10 lit coals, spread them out evenly over the unburned and started the cook.

The difference I noticed was a much faster rise in temperatures and, even though I started closing vents early, the temperature still got a little higher than I wanted. Once things settled out it ran along rock solid at 250 to 260 all night with all three bottom vents completely closed. Next cook I will start with fewer hot coals and close the vents even quicker.

Pork butt still looks awesome, will pull tonight for dinner.

Jerry

Back