new kettle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's the photos posted on that board.

weber1.jpg

weber.jpg

I got to see one up close today at Lowe's. I wasn't terribly impressed. IMO, a Silver is enough for me, if I want something huge on my porch I'll just get a Performer and be done with it. The design itself is fine, it's a Weber, after all... I just think it looks like they're trying too hard to be modern.

What I don't understand is why they relocated the top vent to dead center.
icon_confused.gif

Kinda limits your indirect area.

Tim

I agree, that move is questionable, but at least the handle on the new grill is bolted on instead of welded. That allows you to transfer a lid from an old Silver or whatever else if you like and still maintain the slide-open feature. It functions like a hinge without being one, because of where the handle is placed.

That slide back with the front handle is pretty slick, although the lid felt like it was a lighter gauge than my OTG. But being brand new with no gunk on it probably just made it feel that way to me.
Its different, not sure if I like it or not.

Tim

saw two in their boxes the other day at lowes. non were shown and no price. guess they are waiting for something. i'm not moved by it so far.

I love the looks of this new Weber. I've had it saved as my desktop picture for a few weeks. My wife the grill hater even likes it, referring to it as a saturn grill.
icon_smile.gif
Assuming it is not cheaply made and feels decent, I would consider one. The only thing that eats at me is the price. $100 more than a OTG for 2 tables and $80 less than a performer but without gas assist or charcoal storage. I would feel more excited if it was $199.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Justin Banana:
I would feel more excited if it was $199. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree. Its too much extra money for what it is. However, I can say it does feel very solid, much more than the three legged Webers, where the legs want to fall out if you move the grill.

If one comes up on CL in a year or two for a nice price... we'll see. For now (for the most part) I'm fine with what I have.

Wow, Ace has it for $299. Thats only $29 less than HD and Lowes are selling the 2010 Performer for. I think Weber priced themselves right out of the market here. I always thought that the OTG was a bit overpriced so this borders on criminal.

Craigslist here I come...
icon_smile.gif

I saw one last week and the first thing I noticed was the lid felt lighter than normal, so we grabbed a lid from an OTS and all agreed they weighed about the same. The slide aside holder felt seemless, but I'm not wowwed with it.

Well, if Weber wanted to hit the market between the OTG & Performer...they did it..BULLSEYE !! I agree that the price seems too far from the OTG, & too close to the Performer...maybe $219 would be a better fit
icon_confused.gif
Beauty is "in the eye of the beholder", I guess, but I kinda dig it
icon_cool.gif

Price seems too high for what you're getting. I have an older OTP, and I like it, but I don't think it's $100 better than my OTG. Not sure how the OTP was priced then, since I got this one for free from a neighbor who was throwing it out.

Oh, and I think this is ugly compared to the older model.

I saw one of these in a Lowe's in Charlotte, NC. A few of my observations (sorry no pictures):

1) The grill feels quite solid -- much more than the OTG or OTS with their 3 legs.

2) The shelf on the bottom is actually useful for storage.

3) The work tables on either side of the grill are VERY nice, and quite solid, as the frame extends under them, providing additional support. There are tool holders on each work table.

So far, I was quite impressed.

However, we get to the lid -- and at least in my opinion, it's a total mess.

While the lid thermometer is nice, there are 2 main problems with the whole set up.

First, as some people have already mentioned, the placement of the vent in the center of the lid limits your indirect area.

Second, there is no handle on the top, so it's VERY awkward to open and shut the lid. Sure there is a handle on the side of the lid, but I had a difficult time getting the thing on and off. In addition, by putting the handle on the side, you are forced -- each and every time you grill -- to put your arm directly over the coals.

The slide aside feature is a bit different than the performer, as there is not meal support holder along the outside of the grill to hold the lid. And given that there is only one handle on the side of the grill (and none on top), you are very limited in where you can put the lid.

If Weber would have simply put the regular lid on this grill, it would have been fabulous, although it would have been better priced about $25 to $50 cheaper. As it is however, I think it will be a tough sell, especially since the performer is not that much more expensive, and the lid is such a mess.

Wow, I am on the verge of getting a red one, but the comments on the lid have me second guessing myself now.

At my local dealer it is $90 more than the OTG and for that $90 you get the benefit of four legs instead of three, a built in thermometer, two charcoal holders, two side tables, a bottom shelf, and a slightly higher profile (which for me is the single largest selling point that is making me desiring this over an OTG and oh yeah the brick red color).

I have not made up my mind entirely so will have to sleep on it.

Either way, this model or the OTG, this will be my first Weber kettle so I am jazzed (been cooking outdoors for over 25 years and have never owned a kettle before!)

Robert

The new OTP is interesting. At least the side tables are fixed to the frame and not the kettle. (a fault of an earlier non-weber kettle of mine)

Really not sure of the full effect of mounting the vent in the centre. Need to hear about some trials. It may not prove to be much of an issue.

I own a Performer, and the higher profile is one of the things that brings a smile to my face every time I use it. The extra height is a great thing for those who need it.

Yes, I am totally biased towards a Performer. But that aside Robert, I'm sure you'll do just fine with the new OTP, or an OTG. But if you can get a deal on a Performer....
icon_cool.gif

I rec

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back