New Jumbo Joe.

Wayne Dimirsky

TVWBB Super Fan
There doesn't seem to be many owners of this grill on here. I have not seen many posts about it. I just bought one yesterday at Walmart and was wondering how others were liking theirs? Today I bought a hinged grate for it at the local Ace Hardware. Is this grill just not that popular?

so far i have read that folks like it. its just not a grill used that often as opposed the the regular kettles. one suggestion is to take off the top and bottom vents and smooth out the lower outer edges as these are sharp and will cut into the porcelain.

Thanks for the input. I did check the edges of the vents and mine don't seem sharp and I also didn't tighten the vents down real tight so I should be good.

Wayne

I just got one as a frequent flyer award from one of the airlines that I fly a lot with. Unfortunately, since I fly a lot I have not had a chance to try it out. Maybe this week sometime......

I like mine very much. It's just, as George had noted, it's a special application. People would likely use their full-size grills when they could. The JJ is just a great option when something portable will be needed. I like mine, but I likely won't cook on it just to cook on it when my other ones are sitting close by. That one I bought to use if I was camping, tailgating, etc.

I would like to take mine when I go on vacations but I'm not sure if it will fit in the trunk with suitcases and other things. I have been taking either my go anywhere gas grill or my SJS but have always wished for something bigger. I actually bought the GAG grill on vacation in Texas a few years ago and used it during the entire vacation. I also took it to Georgia two years ago.

Wayne

Ordered mine yesterday. It will go in the comp trailer to replace a 22" OTS to save space. Have noticed several competitors have them so I think they will find their place in the bbq world.

I have one and use the heck out of it. Problem with mine is it is the old style with the vents on the side and not the bottom. Tough to keep the heat consistent with this configuration, but hey it works great for camping trips. I use it to cook spuds when the 26.75 is full at home. It is also great for cooking fried taters in a cast iron skillet! I use mine as almost use it as much as my "home" kettle.

I have not used mine yet. My fiancée ordered the Weber table for me for Father's day so I may wait until I get it to try it out.

Wayne

I like mine too and use it a lot.

I grew up using gas grills. In fact, my first experience with charcoal came with the purchase of my WSM in 2011. Having such a good experience with charcoal on the WSM, I also wanted a charcoal grill. The Jumbo Joe was cheap (comparatively), is portable, and works great. I now use the Jumbo as much as, or more often, then the gasser. Someday I'll get a performer but until then, the Jumbo will fit the bill.

I have the old style SJP with the side vents. It is my tailgating grill for college football games and Nascar races. While it is a space hog in the back of our minivan, it is worth it. Here are some of things I have done in the last year.

1. Burgers and hot dogs for 12. Bottom vent design would be much better for this type of cook since it runs hotter for a longer time.
2. Roadside chicken for 2.
3. Breakfast for 6 and then lunch. Smoked sausage (Hillshire farms type), grits, and heated rolls. As soon as the sausage was finished, I indirect grilled a Tri-tip roast for a few hours and made sandwiches. This grill is perfect for this.
4. Auxillary grill for my 22" kettle at the house. The 22" kettle handled the roadside chicken while I did wings on the SJP. Another good use for this grill since it did not burn the wings.

Last edited:
Alternatively you can buy an 18" OTG and cut the legs short. If you are lucky you will find one thats a nice color (red :rolleyes:)

My fiancée bought me the Weber portable table for portable grills for father's day and I received it about two weeks ago. It could be a little sturdier but I like it. It will make using my Gas GA, smoky joe, and my new Jumbo joe a lot easier.

Wayne

I have the Jumbo Joe and bought it some time in April. I had some problems with the lid/bowl; when closing the lid, it took some effort to take the lid off, and it turned out that the grill was slightly warped. The sheet metal used to form the bowl and lid has the same thickness as the Smokey Joe models, but given that the Jumbo Joe is bigger, it flexes more easily. I fired up the grill and after several uses, the bowl seem to somehow conform with the lid and I never had the issue again. I know there have been complaints about the lid bail scratching the bowl, but I haven't experienced any major cracks to the finish. Sure a small scratch here and there, but I expect this grill to last many years to come.

vvZOCkz.jpg

You can tell by looking at the top damper that the grill has been used quite a bit :)
Bm8hVtL.jpg

Last edited:

Back