New Genesis wheels - PITA?

Bill Marshall

TVWBB Member
So I LOVE my new EP-330. It has cooked some great meals and I'm sure has many more years of fabulous meals ahead. BUT, the casters are such a pain in the rear. I move my grill from a covered area on my cement patio to an uncovered area to cook. I have to cross a wood expansion joint and with a clearance of only about 1/8 inch, my wheels get hung up and I have to lift my grill.

Looking at the wheels, they have a cow-catcher type piece that protrudes out front. It doesn't actually look like it's a structural part of the caster so I'm wondering what the purpose of it is, other than to cause frustration when moving a grill. I'm considering grinding off these "guards" so my grill will roll easily over the small (very small) bump created by the woods joints.

Does anyone see any possible issues with this plan? My other option is to replace the casters as suggested in Glenn's wheel thread recently.

There are "guards" on the rear wheels of my genesis too. The wheel locks don't get caught because they rotate towards the rear when pushed. I don't know why the guards rotate forward, but they can be quite frustrating.

Why not go to someplace like China (Harbor) Freight and get some big casters to put under it. It would be especially nice if your tall and it would raise the grill a couple inches

There are "guards" on the rear wheels of my genesis too. The wheel locks don't get caught because they rotate towards the rear when pushed. I don't know why the guards rotate forward, but they can be quite frustrating.

Yes, they are some type of goofy guard. No real purpose that I can see expect maybe to clear ants out of the way when moving the grill. My grill has the same wheels all around so 4 worthless guards. I may grind off some of the guard to raise the clearance. And if I booger that up or it doesn't work out, I can always replace the casters.

Back