"New" Genesis Silver B

Phil C

Hello all, a few questions if I may regarding my new-to-me Genesis Sliver B. It is is pretty good shape, but needs a good bit of cleaning.

One problem right off is the serial number or lack thereof.
DSC08176.jpg

It seems bleached out and I can not read it. There is a 8101 on the knob plate, but that's all I got.

What would one use to clean the various surfaces ? Thermoset? Lid? Frame? Interior firebox? Interior lid? Exterior firebox? I've read oven cleaner for the interior lid, but what about the box?

I have ordered SS flavorizers from RC and am making my remaining parts list (cover, Warming rack and basket, SS grates?) but I want to clean it up first. Is there a site that does a refurb walk-through? Below a link to pics:
Album of grill pics
Thanks all.

I rehabbed the Genesis 3000 a few threads down and this is what I did:

- heat grill to about 200 degree's then turn off. While warm, spray the lid, interior/exterior firebox with oven cleaner. Let is sit for 10-15 minutes then give some good elbow grease with lots of water.
- Afterwards rinse off everything again with water to get the last of the oven cleaner off. After it dried I spray painted the exterior firebox with high heat paint.
- Mr. Clean Magic Eraser will shine up the lid, plastic tables, knobs, lid handle, metal side table where burner knobs are, metal cart & metal rack nicely. Optional depending on condition, spray some high heat paint on the frame and metal rack below if there's rust.

That'll pretty much get everything looking new again especially once you replace the inside grates, etc.

I learned the hard way with the old serial numbers. Never spray the unit down until you have had a chance to get the numbers off. I tried to wipe off dirt and watched the whole number go with it. I'll post some shots of my most rehab shortly.

Back