New from DFW

JimboTX

New member from the DFW area. I've had a Genesis Silver C for about 20 years - what a workhorse (bought after a few cheapo grills that would only last about a year or two before falling apart). Also have a kettle that I've been using more and more over the past couple of years. I have an electric smoker, but decided last year to try using the kettle - liked the results much better - limited cooking space though. Really looking to get a 22" WSM to try if I can find one for not too much $$.

Transplant from Chicago burbs (over thirty years ago). Year round cooking season is a big plus.

Being someone who jumped right into it with a 22 WSM, and I do mean jumped into as it's so big I could almost literally jump into it, the 18 might be a better choice for a couple of reasons.

With the 18 you gain almost double of the grill real estate since you can use 100% of both grates with the coals being under the water pan. The 22 is a monster. If you plan to do a LOT of meat then it's for you. But, every time I fired it up I would use a whole bag of KBB. Plus 18s are way easier to find used and much less expensive when you do.

Another issue I had with the 22 was cleaning that huge water pan. I don't have a shop sink and it was too big to fit in my kitchen sink. So cleaning that was always a chore. There were times I didn't fire it up just because of this.

New member from the DFW area. I've had a Genesis Silver C for about 20 years - what a workhorse (bought after a few cheapo grills that would only last about a year or two before falling apart). Also have a kettle that I've been using more and more over the past couple of years. I have an electric smoker, but decided last year to try using the kettle - liked the results much better - limited cooking space though. Really looking to get a 22" WSM to try if I can find one for not too much $$.

Transplant from Chicago burbs (over thirty years ago). Year round cooking season is a big plus.

I grill year round here too Jimbo. I just have to wear a lot more clothes to keep warm in the winter. 🥶😆

Being someone who jumped right into it with a 22 WSM, and I do mean jumped into as it's so big I could almost literally jump into it, the 18 might be a better choice for a couple of reasons.

With the 18 you gain almost double of the grill real estate since you can use 100% of both grates with the coals being under the water pan. The 22 is a monster. If you plan to do a LOT of meat then it's for you. But, every time I fired it up I would use a whole bag of KBB. Plus 18s are way easier to find used and much less expensive when you do.

Another issue I had with the 22 was cleaning that huge water pan. I don't have a shop sink and it was too big to fit in my kitchen sink. So cleaning that was always a chore. There were times I didn't fire it up just because of this.

thanks for the suggestions. I have read posts both ways (wish gone bigger and too big/fuel hog). Have tried to find at stores to look at/confirm what I want, but can’t find). Mostly concerned with multiple rib rack lengths and packer briskets.

Welcome! I have an 18 and a 22. I like them both, but if I had to choose I'd keep the big dog just for the reasons you posted above. Also, for what it's worth I got about 11 hours at 275 on half a bag of B&B lump last week but it's also hot as heck down on the coast right now!

Back