New ET-73: basic question

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

My ET-73 arrived yesterday and I'm trying to learn it this morning. I'm stuck at the "Setting HI(Maximum) Food Temperature" section. I pressed and held HI/CLEAR and the default temp (176) flashed in the upper Food area. I pressed HI/CLEAR repeatedly until it showed 185. Then...

1. When the 185 stopped flashing it changed back to 176, them disappeared.

2. Following step #5 in the manual, I pressed LIGHT/MODE to confirm the setting. Nothing changed on the display. No High temp was displayed.

Am I missing something here?

Thanks,

Mick Ruthven

You have to hit the middle button (mode/light) to accept the new setting. If you don't press it within about 5 seconds the temp resets (as you described).

Clay, thanks! Of course, that was it. I've added a note to that effect in my manual.

I also have a new still-in-box WSM, and will no doubt be making regular use of this forum.

While we're on the ET-73 topic, those who own several grills and use the Maverick probe on different grills from time to time, can save the problem of wondering which grill you left the clip in. Call Maverick 732-417-9666 and order extra clips. I bought 3 clips fot $9.75 shipped. Very reasonable!

Smokin' Jim in NC

So I just got my ET-73 yesterday...cookin a brisket as I type. It made overnight cooking SO much easier. No alarm to set; it let me know when the smoker needed attendance.

Although there is one sort of design flaw. To turn on the transmitter, you have to open the battery case. The first time I did this on my deck, the screw which holds the cover in place popped out and flew off into the darkness. Fortunately, I called Maverick, and they were nice enough to ship me a new screw.

I was just wondering why the ON/OFF is inside the transmitter. I'm assuming it's to keep the switch from being exposed to the elements? But can you actually use the transmitter when it's raining out? Has anyone tried this? Also, does anyone have any tips for keeping the screw from falling out of the battery cover each time you open it up??

Thanks.

Mason,

I have used the Maverick in the rain with no problems...well, no problems due to rain...I have lost transmission during a smoke in all but one of my smokes. Maverick replaced the unit, but the new one did it to me last night on a cook...grrr...
As an added note, the new Maverick I am using has not been exposed to the rain yet, the old one was.

For what it's worth....I've had my ET-73 a couple of months. It's never last signal even when taking it inside a mobile home, surrounded with aluminum. As far as the screw, I lay the unit fact down on a table, hold the back with screw intact while I operate the switch with the other hand. Works great for me.

Smokin' Jim in NC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back