New Builder - Fan Issue

Jon M G

Hey All,

I'm just finishing up my heatermeter build. Thanks Bryan for the awesome project. Thanks everyone else for providing tips.

Everything seems to be working correctly except for the fan (kinda the whole point). I'm out of my depth electronically so I wanted to run a few things by you all and then ask for advice on where to start testing things.

With the fan % supposedly set to 100% (that's what's displayed on the LCD as well as through the internet browser) the fan is not turning on. I have not been able to get the fan to turn on. When I test the voltage across the blower / ground pins I get about .25V. I get the same when I test the ethernet cord center wires.

Am I correct in thinking that it should be showing 12V? I don't really know what I'm doing with a multimeter, but I don't really see any other settings to test voltage.

Anyway - I'm thinking this is the problem - Can someone confirm?

If this is indeed the problem can anyone provide advice on how to troubleshoot?

Thanks so much for the help - It's getting cold out and I need to get this done so I can continue BBQing and not have to go outside ;).

Hey All,

I'm just finishing up my heatermeter build. Thanks Bryan for the awesome project. Thanks everyone else for providing tips.

Everything seems to be working correctly except for the fan (kinda the whole point). I'm out of my depth electronically so I wanted to run a few things by you all and then ask for advice on where to start testing things.

With the fan % supposedly set to 100% (that's what's displayed on the LCD as well as through the internet browser) the fan is not turning on. I have not been able to get the fan to turn on. When I test the voltage across the blower / ground pins I get about .25V. I get the same when I test the ethernet cord center wires.

Am I correct in thinking that it should be showing 12V? I don't really know what I'm doing with a multimeter, but I don't really see any other settings to test voltage.

Anyway - I'm thinking this is the problem - Can someone confirm?

If this is indeed the problem can anyone provide advice on how to troubleshoot?

Thanks so much for the help - It's getting cold out and I need to get this done so I can continue BBQing and not have to go outside ;).

Check the orientation of the power mosfet at Q3. I had installed mine upside down and got similar low voltage at the fan. That is the only help I can offer. Good luck!

Last edited:
Check the orientation of the power mosfet at Q3. I had installed mine upside down and got similar low voltage at the fan. That is the only help I can offer. Good luck!

Thanks Man! Wasn't quite the issue but it seemed like it was a bad connection at Q3. I resoldered and the fan fired up. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

Back