New big boy toy!

Well, I finally got some seat time behind her now. I would like nothing more then to tell you guys there was a huge learning curve, but there wasn't! The Viking makes life really easy. With having a Primo and WSM. You all know it's really hard to get a good night sleep or leave the house for 6hrs or more. I just learned that you can with this one. A few things I need to get use too. 1) It takes a good solid hour to hour 1/2 for the box to get up to temp. 2) I learned when you open the main door, you need to act fast. The heat escapes pretty fast. As you all know, with WSM or ceramic the heat rises very quick. Were ever the temp is when you shut the door is were it stays for along time. Now I see the huge advantage of having a digi-Q. 3) There is about a 20degree difference between the bottom right hand side and the upper left hand side. Which you can definitely use to your advantage. 4) it takes for ever for this thing to cool off. I'm use to shutting the the WSM,Primo and being ready to roll in 45min. The Viking is so well insulated, it takes almost three hrs for that temp gauge to hit zero from 250. Good thing is, You can transport it hot. The wrap stays pretty cool. Overall. Light it, Put meat in, go on with your day. I did two briskets and two shoulders the other at 190 before I went to work. Came home 9hrs later the cooker was still @190 with 3/4 chute of fuel. Amazing little cooker. Don't get me wrong. The WSM is not being bump. I actually used it this weekend and my buddy's lake house. Some of the best shoulders I ever made. Makes a huge difference when you can get someone else to pay for local,fresh,$4.25 lbs shoulders.

viking5_zps187d72c4.jpg

viking6_zps1c989d1e.jpg

viking7_zps008e57da.jpg

And the WSM doing work

wsmshoulder_zps0d78e6d1.jpg

Back