New addiction!

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I've had my Weber 22.5" Kettle for about four years, and about two years ago I discovered the http://www.barbecuen.com/ website. I started reading about grilling (because I only had a grill at the time). But I became intrigued by these articles I was reading that said there was meat out there that you could cook for 12+ hours... 12+ hours of playing with fire! So I started searching around for more about 'barbecuing' and 'smoking'. Then lo and behold, I find this site (~1 year ago I think). I didn't even know the company that made my wonderful grill made such a contraption!

Unfortunately, the WSM didn't fit into my college-student budget at the time... But 1 year, a diploma, and a new job later, I FINALLY have a WSM! I ordered it through Amazon.com (through the TVEB link, of course) and it arrived a week ahead of schedule last Friday!

So the dilemma... I had promised to do ribs this upcoming weekend (thought it would be my first cook), but I couldn't just let it sit there for a whole week, and I couldn't do ribs two weekends in a row. So I decided to dive in head first. I bought a 13 lb brisket from Wal-Mart and did the 'Midnight Cook' Saturday night. All I can say is... WOW!! The stories are all true! It was great stuff! It fed six adults and five kids with half of it left over (cut up for sandwiches).

So... Thank you TVWB! Also everyone in the forums. There is SO much good information here, it's truly amazing.

Speaking of good information. I have a couple questions:

The only 'candy-type' (not for permanent mounting) thermometer with a clip I could find at Wal-Mart was a 12" thermometer meant for turkey fryers. Like this one:

http://www.turkey-fryers-online.com/replacement_parts/turkey_fryer_thermometer.htm

When I put it through the top vent, it will actually touch the top grate. So, with a thermometer this long, is it getting the temp at the grate level?

Another question, I left the Accent out of the rub because it said it was MSG, and one of the people I was serving is allergic to MSG. It still turned out great, but I was wondering, what does Accent add to the rub?

Whew! I think I'll stop rambling now. Sorry about the long message. Guess I'm just still excited from the weekend (and looking forward to doing ribs this weekend).

Mike..

Welcome to the forum.. Good to have your input... The thermometer you mention should work fine and the tip is where the temp is measured. Be careful not to touch the meat with the thermometer you will get a bad reading... Also check it in boiling water to insure the thermometer reading is correct... Congratulation on the brisket and good luck on the ribs...

CHEERS!!

bugg /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Mike,

I'll add another "Welcome to the forum." Can't help you the MSG question but as far as your thermometer goes...I'll second what Bill said. Especially about checking it in boiling water.

You can also find good thermometers at a "Linens & Things", a "Bed, Bath & Beyond", or a similar type store. I found a Taylor candy thermometer with a 6" stem and a clip there cheap.
---------------------
Mark WAR EAGLE!!

Hi Mike!

Welcome to the boards! Where in Hoosier land do you hail from?

In regards to Accent...it's only function is to stimulate the flavor receptors in the mouth. It is pure MSG(mono sodium glutamate) and is used by many, many restaurants and can be found in many processed foods.

You can always tell when an ingredient is used lots...check out Sam's Club and any restaurant supply store..ie..Gordon's Food Service. They both carry the LARGE jars of this stuff. A pretty good sign that there is demand for it.

Pretty controversial with very strong opinions on both sides.

MSG is made from veg, it is a natural product.
I know people that say they can not eat MSG but after eating BBQ I know had MSG in it had no reaction.
I'm not saying that there are not people would be adversely affected by MSG but it works out to be less than 2% of the total US population (as pub by the AMA).
MSG works like salt and livens up the flavors.
Jim

Mike:

I use that same thermo you are talkin' about. My first cook, I tilted it, so the tip was aobut an inch over the grill and away from the meat.

Then, somewhere on this site, I saw Chris talking about putting a wine cork at the base of the thermometer, right below the clip. The diameter of the cork is slightly larger than the top vent holes. This allows the tip to be about two inches above the grill. I have had no problems with touching the meat -- even on the pork butt I did this last weekend.

When running the thermo through the cork, I suggest an awl or leather punch to get a starter hole going and be gentle twisting the cork on.

Keep on smokin'!

DWL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back