New 26" vs old 26"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Allen Sharar

TVWBB Super Fan
Of interest..... if you're looking at this post you probably have some level of interest in 26" Weber kettles. In my lifetime - Weber has had two basic shapes to their charcoal grills - (18" flat top - 22" ufo shape). The old 26" looks like a blown up 18" grill - dimensions wise - same flat top etc. The new 26" looks like a blown up 22" grill - for the same reasons. My brother and I have all these grills available and just need photo shoot.

I know some folks from Weber cruize these forums - would like to get their .02$ on this....

It appears that the 26.5" started as a blown up 22.5" (during the '50s-early '60s metal lid handle era) then went flat top during the wood handle years and back when re-introduced in 2009. Someone here (sorry I forget who) posted pics of their sun faded black 26'er from pre 1963 and it had the "current" style lid.

This thread is such a tease!

I was looking for information on what EXACT years Weber has sold a 26 inch kettle. Phot timeline would be a bonus.

To the best of my knowledge, no one has taken the time to put together a Timeline..
We just like to ask the smae questions over and over again..
And no, I'm not volunteering..
I have a flat top 26 fromt eh early 80's.
Its also a One tuoch..
There's nothing dated prior to '79.
Pat Pending marks and the type of wheels and vents help age them. Also, where it was made will help age them.
I think the first 26er was made in 63, but don;t quote me. They stopped making them int he late 80's or 90's. Still don't quote me.
tehy finally realized there is a market and brought them back. With lots of improvements to boot.

my red 26er is the shape of a 22, wooden handle.

weber rep (not customer service) told me it was 58, but after further research i think it's a 62.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TroyRedington:
my red 26er is the shape of a 22, wooden handle.

weber rep (not customer service) told me it was 58, but after further research i think it's a 62. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The 1958 may be true as the "Westerner" with the steere head (introduced in '58) was a 26"er. It may have been reintroduced as the "Feetwood" (regular black, red, copper mist) for 1962.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by C.Hill:
It appears that the 26.5" started as a blown up 22.5" (during the '50s-early '60s metal lid handle era) then went flat top during the wood handle years and back when re-introduced in 2009. Someone here (sorry I forget who) posted pics of their sun faded black 26'er from pre 1963 and it had the "current" style lid. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I believe you're referring to this post which is my 26" which btw is an "N" code; 1991
http://tvwbb.com/eve/forums/a/...0039023/m/5181032736

Mike..
I think you are confused. Your grill is a newer flat top 26.
The one that C hill is talking about is from the late 50's early 60's with a round top.
AJ

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mike Roller:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by C.Hill:
It appears that the 26.5" started as a blown up 22.5" (during the '50s-early '60s metal lid handle era) then went flat top during the wood handle years and back when re-introduced in 2009. Someone here (sorry I forget who) posted pics of their sun faded black 26'er from pre 1963 and it had the "current" style lid. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I believe you're referring to this post which is my 26" which btw is an "N" code; 1991
http://tvwbb.com/eve/forums/a/...0039023/m/5181032736 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The one you have is the '70s-'90s flat lid. The Rounded early 26'ers date back to the Westerner-early to mid '60s. The guy I was referring to (sorry I forget his name) has a faded grey 26'er with a metal handle/round lid, pictured with a 1970s 22.5 faded black kettle and an '70s era Smokey Joe (also faded) "Touch of Gray Kettles" was the name of the thread...sorry, didnt think to link the thread here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back