Never Add Charcoal Again

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by M. Chesney:
Been thinking about making the switch to conserve fuel and speed up cooking </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Does it speed up the cooking process?

Cesar,

From the earlier thread on this it indicated that the double PWP was more efficient in shorting the cooking times which caught my attention in cosidering to do this modification.

Mike

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Cesar:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by M. Chesney:
Been thinking about making the switch to conserve fuel and speed up cooking </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Does it speed up the cooking process? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you have been using water, it will get the pit up to temps faster. Other than that, what Steve said above.

Got it. thanks. Going to do the mod this weekend and on Sat night do some butts. Looking forward to it. Hope there is no wind though.

Seems like there are now more than a few people that are using the Piedmont system, or the clay pot in the pan, and I have now used the Piedmont several times now myself.
Does anyone that was using the Brinkman pan with crumpled foil in it, then covered with a layer of foil, think the Piedmont system is any better? What difference if any are you all seeing?
Myself, I don't see any difference, but I'll keep using the Piedmont system while I have it all bolted together. Either way works.

Bob, I have been using the (PMP) Po Man's Piedmont.

The PMP is the Brinkman charcoal pan with a couple of foil balls and covered with foil.

The foil is kind of made into another bowl to collect any juices. There is air space in between the pan and foil just like the Piedmont Pan.

I used the PMP with chicken, ribs, and chuck roast. Seems to work fine. Temps are in the upper 200s to low 300s and kept in check by monitoring the vents.

I don't feel that confidant using this as an over night cook yet, but for a high heat chuck roast (5-6 hr cook time) or ribs and chicken it works fine.

You can also use one of them oven liners instead of the foil.

John

John,
The system you described, the "PMP" lol, is what I was using, but tried the Piedmont and don't find any difference between the 2.
I'll keep using the Piedmont as long as I have them bolted together though.

ok, i have a brinkman coal pan and the stock weber pan. couldn't i make an improvised piedmont pan by rolling a piece of foil up tight and making a ring out of it. put the ring in the bottom of the ECB coal pan and place the wsm water pan on top of the ring the ring? then put a piece of foil on top of the wsm pan? i may have to try that this weekend.

Back