Neervos Q'er - Wrinkle # 1

Hi, a while ago I posted that I was supplying pulled park for a school funfair. I going to smoke 6 butts for lots of sandwiches. Got some good advice.
Today i got the pork, and they are 8 lbs each - bone out. I don't see how i can fit all of them in the WSM. Should I cook in two batches starting tomorrow morning, or should I try and jam then in?

Advice please! the entire neighbourhood is eagerly anticipating these sandwiches...

Thanks,
Michael

I would split them up and cook them in 2 batches. Then take all the meet and pull and mix together once the second batch is done.

The first batch can be used as a test batch as well. If something goes horribly wrong, you know what to fix on the second batch.

Couple threads on the topic..

http://tvwbb.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1780069052/m...110013152#8110013152

http://tvwbb.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1780069052/m...890034482#8890034482

Looks like it's possible to squeeze 6 on depending on their trimmed weight though it's gonna be a long cook to heat up that much meat. It would probably be easier to do them in two batches, it's also easier to pull them when they are hot so you'll wanna pull and seal up the first batch after their rest period.

I've heard of some standing 3 butts on end and putting 3 on a grate. They use tooth pics or the like to hold them apart but I'd be leary of doing this for fear that as they shrink down a bit, they'd end up falling over.

I'd split the cook up like Jeremy suggests but I'm not sure I'd wait and pull all 6 at once. I believe the pork will pull much easier while still hot. (just make sure you rest them 2 to 4 hours before hand) This can easily be held in covered half pans in the fridge for a day and can be reheated in the oven or nuker in batches. You may need a small amount of apple juice or juice of your choice to help "refresh" the pork before reheating. Also, I'd do 2 and 4 or 4 and 2, not 3 and 3 but it really depends on what you want to do.

Good luck and please report back with the results.
icon_cool.gif

Bill

Wellll, I think I'm going to do two today, and four tomorrow. I figure since I've never done more than two at a time, I shouldn't try to be too fancy and go for six.

I appreciate all the input, and will report eventually with pix.

And I forgot to ask - shall I leave the butcher's webbing on the meat? Makes it easier to handle.

Thanks,
Canada Mike

Gentlemen, Six butts can be done on the WSM. You prepare them as usual.Put them on their edges leaning against each other in a triangle shape. Three to a grate.No toothpicks needed. Have done this before with good results. The problem is checking the temps on the bottom butts.Plus you need to have the room to store six butts in a cooler with towels I don't seem to remember this cook taking an abnormally long time. When I did this last, the total weight was over 55 lbs of meat.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">And I forgot to ask - shall I leave the butcher's webbing on the meat? Makes it easier to handle. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Not if you can help it, no. Remove the webbing then tie it yourself with kitchen string in a couple or three places. Webbing sticks to--and then removes--lots of bark when it's cut off after cooking. Kitchen string will remove less.

One thing to remember if you are doing 6 butts and are used to only doing 1 or 2: You will use a LOT more fuel!

I found that out the hard way when I awoke to a cold smoker the morning of my Daytona 500 party.

I recently had a large smoke as well. What I did was take beer can chicken racks and flipped them over, then wedged them between two butts (for stability) and set my third butt on top of the inverted rack, makes a nice little upper cooking rack ...sounds silly, but in a pinch it worked like a charm.

Back