Need to know how to cook boneless loin!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim_W

TVWBB Super Fan
I bought a boneless pork loin (cryovac) at Sam's. I want to smoke it this weekend. I looked in "Cooking" section of forum but didn't see anything except bone in loin. Need ideas on prep, rub, which fire up method, anything! Only tried this one time (on an old offset) and it was dry and tough. /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif That was before I had WSM or knew about this forum.

Also, should I cut the loin in half and brine it?

Thanks

Jim....

I cook more pork loin than any other meat. Alas, I no longer smoke it! High heat grilling turns out a much better product, IMO. The type of cooker you use will not change the outcome of dry and tough! That is why smoking these is very difficult...they dry out and turn tough very quickly.

If you want to try smoking you are much better off brining the thing. It is also the ONLY piece of meat that I brine. Then simply smoke until the temp reaches 145?...take it off the smoker, tent with foil and let rest for about 15-20 minutes.

Beware...this will result in some slight pink inside meat. MANY folks are repulsed by this...though it is perfectly safe to eat. Trichinae are killed at 137?. If you go much above 160?, it will be dry and tough.

Below is a link for my recipe page where you will find many pork recipes....most for chops or the loin. You will notice that every recipe calls for high heat grilling..just ignore that and smoke as you would any other meat.

Finally, that is a huge amount of meat! There will be very little shrinkage so I hope you have a large gathering to eat this???

BBQGURU Recipes

Good luck!

When it comes to unenhanced pork loin, LOW & SLOW = TOUGH & DRY.

Today's genetically engineered pork is so much leaner that the pork of 2 decades ago and the area it hit hardest is the pork loin.

Funny thing is that all the new "premium pork" producers use a different variety of pig that isn't nearly as lean. People rave about the great pork taste and the moistness. Regular prok used to be like that premium pork.

Anyway...

The way I cook pork loin is on the kettle, seared on some oak lump and finished indirect.

When I cook loin for myself, I take it to 145 like Kevin does.

When company is coming over, especially my Greek family, I take it too 152 or 153. Believe me, that is considered rare by these folks. They prep their pork super thin and they still need a knife to eat it. I serve mine sliced about 1/2" and you can cut it with your fork.

Anyway, that is my story and I am sticking to it...

Did half of a bone-in pork loin (about 6 lbs.) last Sat. after brining it for three days. Took it off at about 160, foiled it, and let it sit for about an hour. It tasted like smoked pork chops and was quite juicy--we celebrated. Took some to work Monday for lunch, and when nuked it tasted completely different, like a regular fresh ham--we un-celebrated. What was left un-nuked at home in the fridge also seemed to have lost all of the salt/smoked flavor, but was still juicy. So-- may not be trying that again.

Incidentally, we did not use Morton's Tender Quick in the brine and I don't know if that would have made a difference. Anyone?

Tom

i've noticed the taste difference in pork right off the grill and then reheated.it still tastes ok but not great.it looses its pizazz.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back