Need to get two Themometers

SCOTT DOWNS

Anyone have some suggestions on where to get some good themometers for the WSM. I want to top mount and do a grate mount also. I have seen the BBQ guru deal that slides in the weber mounting bracket. But I am curious on how it works? I think I might just drill some holes and mount them.

I use the Weber replacement thermometer (9815 I think, about $10 at Home Depot) to measure grate temps through a BBQ Guru eyelet. I also have a Tel-Tru thermometer (BQ300, Glow Dial with a 2.5" stem) mounted in the lid.

I also use the Tel-Tru thermometer (BQ300, Glow Dial with a 2.5" stem). But I have two of them. I mounted one in the lid directly opposite of the vent opening, and the 2nd one just below the top grate.

I have noticed the lid temp will register about 25 degrees hotter about 75% of the time. The other 25% of the time they both register the same temperature. I find that interesting, but it does not effect cooking that I can tell.

These are great themometers. A bit pricy, but I can easily read them from inside my house looking out on the deck.

I would recommend an Ashcroft Industrial type thermometer with a 4" Stem. I have two and they work great. I puchased them on e-bay; cost about $15.00 each. Very accurate and you can adjust them. You can get various dial diameters; mine are 5 inch which works out very well; from my kitchen to the WSM, which is about 50 feet away, I can tell what the temperature is.

Ken

The Weber 9815 reads around 210 in boiling water. Like Jeff, there are variances when you compare the grate temps to lid temps at different times. Early in a cook, it is not uncommon for my grate temp to be higher than the lid temp. But, it all seems to even out over time. I seem to be more comfortable monitoring the lid temps. I use the Weber to check the temps, but my main guage during a cook is the Tel-Tru in the lid.

Back