Need some help...

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I have tried the spare rib and baby back recipes found under the cooking section. They were great, but I was wondering if anyone had any good sweet recipes, maybe honey based. Can I just cook ribs without a rub, or do I always need to have something on, such as salt, etc. Can I just cook them with nothing on them and then just glaze with a good BBQ sauce? Is this common? Sorry for all the questions, but I am still new at this. The recipes were good, but my wife said both of them were too spicy for her
icon_smile.gif

thanks!

I haven't done great ribs on the WSM yet, but when I do 'em on my kettle (either on the rotisserie, if they're babybacks or st. louis) or standing in a rib rack if they are enormous dinosaur (beef) ribs.

On the rotis, I just use a wee bit of olive oil, lemon, salt, pepper, and herbs de provence. Once they're done you can offer folks sauce for dipping, but it's hardly needed as the pure pork taste is just delicious.

On the bronto ribs, I used Steven Raichlen's glaze to baste 'em---mostly hoisin sauce and honey----and man were they FANTASTIC!

My wife prefers a milder rub as well, I really don't care as long as the ribs are glazed well. Everyone likes my ribs, I'm told.
icon_smile.gif
The guys on this site will recommend Texas BBQ rub #1 probably. I've never tried it because there are so many good rubs available here in KC, my fav is the mild rub found at http://smokingunsbbq.com.

For a glaze, I use KC Masterpiece mixed with a dab of blackberry All-Fruit. For technique, I use the 3-2-1 method shown on this site.

Before I knew anything about rubs and layers of flavor etc I used to just put some salt and pepper on top of a layer of olive oil. Sprayed them with apple juice a few times and brushed them with a sweet store-bought sauce about 1/2 hour before finish.

Those were quite tasty ribs, but then I caught BBQ fever and felt the need to experiment.
icon_smile.gif

Still make the old recipe on a slab now and then, when the party includes some youngsters.

Echoing Susan, no you don't have to do anything but a rub of some type is so tasty. One like Susan's will add some nice flavors to the meat. If you liked the rub you used but it was too spicy (and if you make your rub from scratch), cut the cayenne and/or black pepper way back or eliminate it entirely.

Dave, I just talked to a guy who owns a local BBQ eatery and he makes the best bbq beef I've had. Also his PP sammiches are good too. He doesn't rub his meats or ribs and doesn't use any smoke wood for flavor either. He said its all a waste of time!! He says it all in the sauce. What makes great bbq "great bbq" is the sauce. He thinks his is great, and if I could get his reciepe, I would sell it because it is AWESOME.

So, in a long way, you don't need to put anything on the meat!

Dave,
Try the sauce from BRITU. 4 parts KC Masterpiece original flavor to 1 part honey. My wife and kids swear by it
Nick P.

Dave,
No you don't have to put anything on the ribs when you are smoking them. Everyone has their own sense of taste. If you like 'em sweet make 'em sweet! Or halve the pepper in the rub recipe or eliminate it all together! Find a way you like them and stick with it!

I helped out on a BBQ team and the lead guy (Steve Hilmer) completely covered the ribs in raw cane sugar (search on Turbinado), then sprinkled the ribs with a rub (he took 4th out of 18 in ribs.)

The sugar helped carmelize the base and the rub added another depth of flavor.

I tried this on my WSM (he used a huge Traeger) and I was not able to get the same flavor. Sweet yes, but not super sweet. Maybe it was because mine were rolled, and he laid his flat?

Regardless - my wife prefers the sweeter ribs (not by sauce), and I like mine with rubs, so I do many different flavors at one cook.

~ Sean

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back