Need some help, Panting grill box

Doug

Hey there, first time poster here. I am restoring my 01 Silver B gasser, just about done except for the box. During the sanding and cleaning of the box there are a lot of bare metal areas, about 30% of the box and shroud are down to bare metal. I was going to use high heat ultra on it with a high heat primer first. After reading the instructions and doing some research, it recommends NOT using primer. Has anyone used the Rustoleum HH ultra on bare aluminum box? Any suggestions? I would hate to paint and just have it peal or chip right off. Thank you in advance... Happy 4th!!!

Welcome to the forum Doug! I have painted the fire box of a few grills that were down to bare aluminum and used Rustoleum HH paint with out any problems. Make sure you don't paint the inside of the box that's a big No-No.
Also you would be better off posting this in the "Weber Gas Grills" instead of here, that's where all the restores and questions of this nature are usually posted. You will get a lot better response there.

Thanks for the heads up on where to post. With the bare metal how many coats did you use and did you use the regular HH (satin) or the Ultra (gloss)? I was thinking satin since everything else is more of a gloss. I am going to upload the pics of my restore in the Weber gas grills when I can. Thanks again for your response.

Thanks for the heads up on where to post. With the bare metal how many coats did you use and did you use the regular HH (satin) or the Ultra (gloss)? I was thinking satin since everything else is more of a gloss. I am going to upload the pics of my restore in the Weber gas grills when I can. Thanks again for your response.

I used satin, seems to hold up better and easier to apply. I do two light coats.

Welcome to the forum Doug! I have painted the fire box of a few grills that were down to bare aluminum and used Rustoleum HH paint with out any problems. Make sure you don't paint the inside of the box that's a big No-No.
Also you would be better off posting this in the "Weber Gas Grills" instead of here, that's where all the restores and questions of this nature are usually posted. You will get a lot better response there.

If you paint the inside of the box is it ruined?

I just painted the inside of my box before doing a ton of research, newbie here. :(

If you paint the inside of the box is it ruined?

I just painted the inside of my box before doing a ton of research, newbie here. :(

As long as you haven't fired it up yet and you remove all the paint from the inside down to the bare aluminum to make sure you got it all it should be fine. You don't want the nasty fumes that would come off that paint to get into your food, it would make you one sick puppy. This also goes for the inside of the lid.

As long as you haven't fired it up yet and you remove all the paint from the inside down to the bare aluminum to make sure you got it all it should be fine. You don't want the nasty fumes that would come off that paint to get into your food, it would make you one sick puppy. This also goes for the inside of the lid.

Thanks for the reply. That sounds like a time consuming process. Any ideas on best way to tackle?

I did one very light coat.

Bad to use chemicals? maybe oven cleaner and heat?

ETA: I have NOT Fired it up yet..

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. That sounds like a time consuming process. Any ideas on best way to tackle?

I did one very light coat.

Bad to use chemicals? maybe oven cleaner and heat?

ETA: I have NOT Fired it up yet..

I wouldn't use heat it may imbed the chemicals into the aluminum, sand/ media blasting would be the best. Possibly a seriously strong pressure washer if its a thin enough coat. Oven cleaner may react with the aluminum also, so I wouldn't go there. An angle grinder or electric sander would work for the biggest part but you would have to hand sand an awful lot of those small crevices.
Any way you look at it it's not going to be cheap or fun.

Back