Need satellite TV opinions *****

Dave,

I've been happy with my Direct TV, although I miss my Comcast cable for the high speed internet...had to downgrade to DSL
icon_frown.gif
No experience with Dish...

One comment : I did NOT want the dish anchored to the roof (can you say "hurricanes in Florida" ?
icon_smile.gif
), so the DirectTV guy put it on a free-standing pole next to the house. He told me, you want to get it out from under the eaves (unless you have gutters...I don't !) because the water coming off the roof, coupled with a heavy rain, can mess up your signal. He was right on...with the dish offset ~10 feet from the house, I still get occasional dropouts of the signal in heavy rains, but as others noted, only for a few minutes...

HTH

Dean...

I suppose you're right Larry. I don't have a cell phone so I wouldn't know. Yes, I am one of the few who are still stuck in the twentieth century.

Originally posted by CullenJ:
I think he's trying to say that Dish doesn't have an HD DVR that will feed two TVs.
Ahh, ok....in that case, I'd not let that stop me from picking the service I thought served me better. I'd simply buy a 1x2 (or however many outputs you'd like) HDMI splitter like this one (Monoprice 1x2 HDMI splitter) and run the satellite receiver out to it, then to my 2 (or however many outputs you needed) TVs.

In fact, this is exactly what I have in my living room....One output goes to my 60" plasma and the other to a smaller 15" LCD in the kitchen. Works great.

Originally posted by CullenJ:
Regardless of which you go with, there's going to be an adjustment period. And you may not think it's a big deal now, but DVR will change your life.
Now that I will definitely agree on! DVR is the answer to TV show Alzheimers. My wife never remembers to turn her shows on so the DVR has saved her quite a bit. And if I'm watching a game, the DVR can be recording any other show I'd normally miss.

Originally posted by JimMcG:
Ahh, ok....in that case, I'd not let that stop me from picking the service I thought served me better. I'd simply buy a 1x2 (or however many outputs you'd like) HDMI splitter like this one (Monoprice 1x2 HDMI splitter) and run the satellite receiver out to it, then to my 2 (or however many outputs you needed) TVs.

In fact, this is exactly what I have in my living room....One output goes to my 60" plasma and the other to a smaller 15" LCD in the kitchen. Works great.

If you split the HDMI signal then both tvs have to be watching the same thing.

I am in Canada and we are not allowed to have dish net or directv here.

But i got sick of being forced to go with what we have here and not having the choice and called dish network and subscribed with them last year.

I used the address of a family member who is in the US to open the account. I dont have a US SSN though because i am Canadian so i was forced to pay $200 to open the account.

They basically told me it is either i have a SSN or i have to pay this $200 to open the account.

One thing you can do if you go with dish is that you can get a couple of receivers and share some with your friends and split the cost with them so it ends up being cheaper for everyone.

If you do that, make sure dish network does not do you are doing this and make sure that none of the receivers are connected to the phone line.

You can simply say you have no landline if they try to force you to connect receiver to landline.

Be careful though that some of the DVR models require an additional pvr monthly charge and the dual receivers count as two. You are allowed to have a max of 6 receivers in your house, on one account but there is an additional receiver cost for each additional receiver per month.

I got the older 501 pvr receiver because this one does not have a pvr monthly charge and i can still use the nice recording features of PVR.

In terms of customer service, like the others said, it depends on the rep you get on the phone.

Make sure you have a good installation with good signal so you dont end up loosing signal a lot with the bad weather.

Hope this info helps.

elmo

I have had Dish and DTV and cable. My current set up is OTA with Tivo HD and IPTV, tough to beat. Went from $109 a month to $9.00, no looking back.

Dennis, sorry if I sound dumb but what is OTA and IPTV? And also some of you said to make sure the dish is installed correctly. How would I know? They could tell me anything and I wouldn't know the difference.

Originally posted by BradP "p-nut":

Ahh, ok, I misunderstood what you were after. So the Dish receiver has 2 outputs, correct?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BradP "p-nut":

Ahh, ok, I misunderstood what you were after. So the Dish receiver has 2 outputs, correct? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The VIP722 can control up to 4tvs but only has one HDMI output. That's why I went with two DVR's for my 2 HD tvs. That way I'm getting max resolution from the HD signal.

The VIP722 can control up to 4tvs but only has one HDMI output. That's why I went with two DVR's for my 2 HD tvs. That way I'm getting max resolution from the HD signal.

Outta curiosity, how do you connect 4 TVs to it?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BradP "p-nut":

Outta curiosity, how do you connect 4 TVs to it? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Dish Network will do all the installation but...One main output would be the HDMI port, the others would be coax outputs. Each are labeled on the back of the DVR.
I got mine with a remote for each output.
I only use the one HDMI output.

The Dish Network will do all the installation but...One main output would be the HDMI port, the others would be coax outputs. Each are labeled on the back of the DVR.

The installer must do something funky because I only see 2 outputs...one digital via HDMI or Component and one analog via composite. As far as I can tell, the receiver has 2 tuners, so I don't know how you could hook 4 TVs up and each one be able to watch different programming. Even at 2 tuners with 2 outputs, it's better than what DirecTV currently offers if that's what you need.

The installer must do something funky because I only see 2 outputs...one digital via HDMI or Component and one analog via composite. As far as I can tell, the receiver has 2 tuners, so I don't know how you could hook 4 TVs up and each one be able to watch different programming. Even at 2 tuners with 2 outputs, it's better than what DirecTV currently offers if that's what you need. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Doesn't it also have component output?
I'll have to look at the back of mine.
I only need the one output so it's never mattered.

im probably late, but directv gives me all kinds of movies channels for free around christmas, and a different package then that a couple months before. No reason why or anything but sure enough I turned it on and it was on. Just seems like were always watching something that were not paying for almost always. Thats how we got into "Dexter." I've had it since around 02'. Never had any reason to look around I guess.
BTW I heard something on the radio about HDMI cables not having any better pictures then the reg. ones in some kind of test. anyone else hear that or was this something different and I'm remembering wrong?.. I personally don't notice a difference, but I LOVE just ONE cable instead of a mess.

It does, but I don't think it's discrete....that is, you can use either the component, s-video or hdmi output for the one tuner. The other tuner operates from a composite connection. Maybe you can use all 3 connections for tuner #1 but of course all 3 TVs connected to it would receive the same program.

BTW, I'm basing this on the picture Dish has on their website for the 722. It's possible they've redesigned this receiver and never updated the website.

Originally posted by Dan H.:
BTW I heard something on the radio about HDMI cables not having any better pictures then the reg. ones in some kind of test. anyone else hear that or was this something different and I'm remembering wrong?.. I personally don't notice a difference, but I LOVE just ONE cable instead of a mess.
A lot of people say the PQ is no different (or at least not so much as to be discernible) using either HDMI or Component. As you said though, using HDMI tends to be preferred since it's a single cable option vs 5 for a component connection.

It does, but I don't think it's discrete....that is, you can use either the component, s-video or hdmi output for the one tuner. The other tuner operates from a composite connection. Maybe you can use all 3 connections for tuner #1 but of course all 3 TVs connected to it would receive the same program.

BTW, I'm basing this on the picture Dish has on their website for the 722. It's possible they've redesigned this receiver and never updated the website.

Originally posted by Dan H.:
A lot of people say the PQ is no different (or at least not so much as to be discernible) using either HDMI or Component. As you said though, using HDMI tends to be preferred since it's a single cable option vs 5 for a component connection. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Anyone that says that HDMI cables don't make a difference then I have these questions. What signal are you referring to (is it 1080I?), were you using name brand HDMI cables and what version of HDMI were they. What TV is being used.
I think the main problem is that people don't know enough about the subject to know the difference between analog, 720p, 1080i and 1080p and don't use quality cables. At the end of the day the tv and signal makes the biggest difference.

I have Philips LCDs (one 42 and one 52) and use Monster Cable HDMI v1.4 cables.

"Quality cables" in reference to a digital signal is pretty much a joke. The digital signal carried over HDMI is nothing but 1s and 0s and really is not susceptible to interference like an analog cable. You don't need to spend a ton of cash on a HDMI cable. But Monster sells that bunk to sell really expensive cables.

Just like the "gold connector" BS on analog cables. They try to tell you the gold coating produces better conductivity, after all the military requires it. Well, the military didn't require gold on edge connectors for conductivity, it was for corrosion resistance. Silver and copper both conduct electricity better than gold.

Anyway I'm rambling a bit...get yerself a HDMI cable from monoprice and it will move those 1s and 0s just as well as a cable from Monster...and probably at half the cost.

"Quality cables" in reference to a digital signal is pretty much a joke. The digital signal carried over HDMI is nothing but 1s and 0s and really is not susceptible to interference like an analog cable. You don't need to spend a ton of cash on a HDMI cable. But Monster sells that bunk to sell really expensive cables.

Just like the "gold connector" BS on analog cables. They try to tell you the gold coating produces better conductivity, after all the military requires it. Well, the military didn't require gold on edge connectors for conductivity, it was for corrosion resistance. Silver and copper both conduct electricity better than gold.

Anyway I'm rambling a bit...get yerself a HDMI cable from monoprice and it will move those 1s and 0s just as well as a cable from Monster...and probably at half the cost. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I get them at cost from a relative that owns a shop. At the end of the day, I know both my systems are true 1080p and could care a less what others buy or think.
This thread has gotten a little off topic since the original question was about cable vs satelite. I only posted that the 722 couldn't support multiple tv outputs in true HD which it can't.
I'm going back to the grillin'/smoking sections.

Back