Need pointers to smoke

Alan K (nolaman)

TVWBB Member
Attn. grillers. My son refurbished a Genesis grill that was given to him in exchange for doing some work for someone.It loos like 1000. It was used very little,it's like brand new.His only other grill is a smokey Joe. So he has no experience in smoking.I told him to check out this forum. I guess he's a little shy, so I'm asking for him. I live out of state, and I don't own a gasser, so I'm not much help either.I recently bought him a 12" amazen tube smoker.What is the best way to set the thing up,and set up to smoke chicken,pork butts etc.,the use of foil pans etc.Any advice, pics of past smokes would be big help.I'll tell him to click on this post. Maybe he will see all the experience, and willingness to help, he will warm up to ask questions.I know I learned a lot when I bought my WSM just by reading. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Attn. grillers. My son refurbished a Genesis grill that was given to him in exchange for doing some work for someone.It loos like 1000. It was used very little,it's like brand new.His only other grill is a smokey Joe. So he has no experience in smoking.I told him to check out this forum. I guess he's a little shy, so I'm asking for him. I live out of state, and I don't own a gasser, so I'm not much help either.I recently bought him a 12" amazen tube smoker.What is the best way to set the thing up,and set up to smoke chicken,pork butts etc.,the use of foil pans etc.Any advice, pics of past smokes would be big help.I'll tell him to click on this post. Maybe he will see all the experience, and willingness to help, he will warm up to ask questions.I know I learned a lot when I bought my WSM just by reading. Thanks in advance.

Smoking on a gasser is different but not impossible. Only use the burner on one side and place meat on the other. Depending on age your grill might have front middle and rear burners. For smoke use a smoke box or a tinfoil pounch with holes and fill with wood chips.

I tried for 2 years to smoke on a Spirit gas grill, with mixed results. I had a couple awesome cooks, but probably 75% were disappointing.

The problems I ran into were:
- poor temp control
- either too much heat for the wood (it burned up too fast) or too little (no smoke)
- inability to control ventilation (too much airflow == not enough smoke for the meat)
- the need to constantly (like, every 10-15 minutes) check on the cook, and had to add chips every 20-30 minutes

Something that did help a lot was picking up a couple cast iron smoke boxes (approx 4" x 2" x 8" cast iron box with a removable lid and holes for smoke) that I got at our local Meijer in the grilling/outdoor section for about $10 each. They generate a decent amount of smoke, and help keep the chips from actively flaming.

I gave up and got a smoker this spring (WSM 22"), and *wow* what a joy that has been! I get consistently great results with very little effort.

I have had good results with a cast iron smoke box. Not as good as the Weber Smoker but it works in a pinch when you are in a rush.
Ray

Thanks for the tips guys.He has an older model genesis. His burners run side to side.I thought he could light just the back burner,start on low and watch the temp gauge to see if he can stabilize it around 300,before he adds any meat. Start with a small butt roast, put it in a foil pan w/ some crumpled up foil strips or balls to elevate it off the bottom.Then drop his pellet tube smoker down between the flavorizer bars,hopefully it doesn't fall through. These were some of my thoughts on it,didn't know if any one tried this technique before. If all else fails he can finish it in the oven. Looks like Maverick Remotes maybe under the tree at Christmas!

I tried for 2 years to smoke on a Spirit gas grill, with mixed results. I had a couple awesome cooks, but probably 75% were disappointing.

The problems I ran into were:
- poor temp control
- either too much heat for the wood (it burned up too fast) or too little (no smoke)
- inability to control ventilation (too much airflow == not enough smoke for the meat)
- the need to constantly (like, every 10-15 minutes) check on the cook, and had to add chips every 20-30 minutes

Something that did help a lot was picking up a couple cast iron smoke boxes (approx 4" x 2" x 8" cast iron box with a removable lid and holes for smoke) that I got at our local Meijer in the grilling/outdoor section for about $10 each. They generate a decent amount of smoke, and help keep the chips from actively flaming.

I gave up and got a smoker this spring (WSM 22"), and *wow* what a joy that has been! I get consistently great results with very little effort.

I know I love my Marie (18.5 WSM) wouldn't give it up for any thing!

He should be able to smoke with the Amazen Tube you gave him. I would start with chicken pieces and apple pellets. I would use 2 of the burners
and a temp of 325-350 so he does not get soggy skin. Light up that tube and give it a try, thats the best way to learn.

The best thing about the A-Maze-N Tube and pellets is that it does not rely on the burners. You light the pellets and they smolder and smoke on their own. It isn't necessary to put it down on the flavorizer bars. I put mine right on the cooking grate. If your grate is completely full of food, I don't suppose there's anything wrong with putting the tube down under the grate.

I don't know that "smoking" is possible on a gasser, but adding some nice smoke flavor to slow roasted meats is. Some would say there's no difference there, but I think a lot of you will understand what I mean.

Thanks Bob, Jeff. Yea, I guess I used the wrong term "smoking". He's just wants to add some smoke flavor.
Jeff: Do you use all 3 burners,or as Bob suggested to use only 2. If so, which two, front and rear with the center off?

My gasser isn't a Genny. It is a Weber Q3200. One burner is a ring around the perimeter and the second runs right down the middle and is smaller.

That said, what matters is not which burners you use, but rather where they are relative to the meat and what your cooking vessel temperature is. If you're going for a low and slow roasting, place the meat over an area with no fire directly under it then use one burner to set your temperature. If one burner on high isn't enough, two on medium will be a little more. Calibrate the thermometer in the hood by sticking the probe in a pot of boiling water. It should read 212 (unless you're way up in the mountains). Lots of folks on here feel you need a more accurate thermometer that you can place exactly at grill level. My experience is, after a few cooks, you can judge what's going on from a consistent thermometer mounted in the hood. I also share a minority opinion that cooking at 300 - 325 produces barbecue just as good (maybe even better?) than cooking at 200-250. I am pretty sure you'll find it much easier to hold at 300 than you will at lower temps, so don't freak out when an article or recipe says to smoke for xx hours at 250...it will just finish a little bit faster at 300. I promise you, there will be little to no difference in taste or texture.

One of my friends has an older genesis with the east to west burners. He places lava rocks between the flavorizer bars and wood chunks on top of it, so he can keep the temps low and smoke going. He likes the results, but likes my WSM food more.

My advice would be to use the great gas grill he's got for grilling and get a one touch silver for long cooks. I've been using mine for years and there's nothing you can't do on a kettle.

Back