Need longer smoke duration

H. Wilson

Weber Nat gas grill. Will small smoking pellets laid in a narrow path burn and travel slowly once an end is ignited ? Best to be in a foil tube with vent holes or on a sheet out in the open ? What have you done ? Tks.

I make multiple foil pouches. Cut little slits. Cheap and works like a champ. When smoke stops or slows down I simply throw in the next one.

lots of good info in this entire thread.

I may buy a bag of pellets just to try this out in my smoker boxes. How about some recommendations pellets that are especially good for smoking?

I may buy a bag of pellets just to try this out in my smoker boxes. How about some recommendations pellets that are especially good for smoking?
Any good pellets many of us with pellet grills report on will work. Smoke at grate level though does little to nothing for flavor. It has to come up from under the food and surround it for best results. I have been having great results with Sam's Club and the ones I find at Costco at $12.99 for 40lbs

Yah, I have a flat box type smoker and a V shaped one. I put them inbetween/on the flavorizer bars near the front with the meat in the back indirect.

Green Mountain gold blend is about the best I’ve had. Good, damn good flavor.

for my salmon lox, i use Trager brand 100% maple pellets. i haven't used any other brands for flavors. my results have been superb. i'd buy them again if still available.

Smoke at grate level though does little to nothing for flavor. It has to come up from under the food and surround it for best results.

I knew Larry was gonna say that...

There are many of us on here who use a tube on the grate in gassers and pellet grills with good results.

It is much easier to fill, refill, light, blow out, etc. the tube when it is up on the grate. Anything under the grate is hard to manage if it goes out. Or more likely if it bursts into full flame (bad) because it is too close to the heat source.

Smoke at grate level though does little to nothing for flavor. It has to come up from under the food and surround it for best results.

I knew Larry was gonna say that...

There are many of us on here who use a tube on the grate in gassers and pellet grills with good results.

It is much easier to fill, refill, light, blow out, etc. the tube when it is up on the grate. Anything under the grate is hard to manage if it goes out. Or more likely if it bursts into full flame (bad) because it is too close to the heat source.
I disagree with the underneath. I cold smoke salmon and it gets plenty of smoke with the tube at grate level. So I’ll challenge the underneath the grate statement from my own results.

Smoke, filling the closed chamber will go all around the meat. And when I smoke in my S6, the deflector plate pushes the smoke around the plate’s perimeter, and not smoke under the protein, and my protein is fully bathed in smoke anyways.

It’s all that convection air, filled with smoke, which will stick to the protein.

I am not a master smoker or BBQer, but the stuff I have read and watched regarding smoking meats is that it is optimal to have the smoke below the meat and then have it rise to above it. It makes sense that you will likely get a larger dose of smoke on the meat and maybe even an all over exposure to smoke could be considered a plus. I have seen several smokers and the smoke usually enters the cooking chamber near the bottom under the meat on the racks. It is then allowed to rise with the heat and eventually vent out the exhaust on the top.

My educated but inexperience guess is that smoke coming from below is the best situation, but the difference in effectiveness over a grate level smoke might not be enough to rise above the convenience of haveing the smoke tube easily accessible.

I just want to know how you guys get your smoke tunes to stay lit🤣 I cannot get mine to go. I’ve got the….oh dang the name escapes me right now. The tube, the common brand. Ugh.

Anyways, I can get it to start and then it dies.

Edit: A-Maze-N

I just want to know how you guys get your smoke tunes to stay lit🤣 I cannot get mine to go. I’ve got the….oh dang the name escapes me right now. The tube, the common brand. Ugh.

LANNEY Pellet Smoker Tube, 12''... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07N3QG4QL/?tag=tvwb-20

You must light the pellets on direct flame, I use the side burner, for 5 mins till you have a nice fire at the tip.

Then stand tube up and let burn for another 2-3 mins.

Then, with multiple tries, blow the fire out. Completely out. Then you’ll have smoldering pellets. And SMOKE!

You need to get a decent flame going in the tube using a propane torch or something with a similar flame, and let it burn for several minutes before blowing the flame out. Once you light the pellets, keep the torch handy in case you need to relight them.

See I thought I was doing that but I used my standard tumble weed fire starters. Maybe that’s my issue

Suppose I will revisit. It’s been about a year since I tried and chucked the thing to the side

Thanks fellas

See I thought I was doing that but I used my standard tumble weed fire starters. Maybe that’s my issue

Suppose I will revisit. It’s been about a year since I tried and chucked the thing to the side

Thanks fellas
Nah. Those weeds won’t do jack squat. High fire. Make a flame. A nice flame.

1677812503245.jpeg

1677812570634.jpeg

1677812696902.jpeg

1677812714123.jpeg

1677812772111.jpeg

1677812810694.jpeg

Attachments

• 1677812745468.jpeg
    1677812745468.jpeg
    176.6 KB · Views: 2
I pulled the trigger on one. Thanks.
I have the top review on that tube. 549 likes. I came to love this smoke generator. Absolutely awesome. It took my lox game to ultimate levels. Better than any lox I ever had growing up in NYC.

Pellets are the key and making that flame up front will get you the smoldering smoke. Enjoy!

Post your results so we can learn more, please.

And WARNING ⚠️! Use an insulated hot glove to move the tube once lit.

Ask me how I know. And how long it took to heal my fingertips.

Back