need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

KARL K

Hi all...I am a little over 4 hours into a spare ribs cooking and the temp is dropping. I have all the vents wide open and can't seem to get the temp back up to 250. I moved the coals around and the water pan is half full. Any suggestions?

Throw a half a chimney of fresh hot coals in there. That should take you through the rest of the cook without any problem.

Good Luck,

Rick

Rick,
The temp went back up to 250. I opened the lid to put more apple juice on and take temp of rib. The temp was 140 on the piece that I cut off from the bone side. Is that a normal reading after about 41/2 hours? You need alot of patience doing this I am finding out. Hope the reward is worth it.

It's very difficult to use a thermometer to reliably judge the doneness of ribs-- there just isn't the mass that a thick cut of meat has. I judge by three factors: time, appearance, and feel. 5-1/2 to 6 hours for spares, the meat pulling down on the bones' ends a good half inch, and taking two adjacent bones and gently pulling or twisting to gauge looseness.

First smoke over....6 1/2 hours for 2 slabs of spare ribs. Caught my neighbor on the way out with a couple of ribs to taste. He liked them so much he didn't offer his wife one. I guess thats a victory on the first attempt. I had them straight off the cooker and they tasted like candy. I had trouble taking the membrane off and left it on. It made no difference to me. Next cook will be baby backs. It is alot more work then I thought but well worth it. My office will be the next judge on Tuesday...Thank you all who helped ....

They'll be better next time if you get that membrane off. Takes very little practice. Get a corner furthest from the skirt started with a thumbnail or butterknife. Grab it with a dry paper towel and start pulling up and away from the starting corner. It will normally come off in one piece if you maintain the proper pull.

Steve,
No foil. 6 1/2 hours and I pulled it off. The ribs tasted like candy. My neighbor is excited about this summer. Smoked goodies sitting by the pool. I don't know how folks do overnight cooking without checking. I needed to adjust the vents many times. I wonder if that was just a rookies mistake or the way things go for everyone.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KARL K:
[qb]I don't know how folks do overnight cooking without checking. I needed to adjust the vents many times.[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>That's part of the learning process. The WSM really doesn't need that much attention. I did BB's yesterday using 3-2-1. I only had to adjust one vent and that was after the wind picked up a bit.

Have fun with your WSM, Karl.

Karl-

Congrats. Sounds like your ribs were a success.

FWIW, I think my WSM settled down somewhat after the new wore off (or the build-up wore in).

What really has made a difference to me is using washed play sand from Home Depot rather than water. I use a Brinkman charcoal pan 3/4 full and covered with foil, but many here use the WSM water pan with sand. My temps stay real steady, so you might consider trying sand.

Run a search here and you'll find much discussion about sand vs. water. Myself--I'm a reformed water user.

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back