Need Help With Smoke Wood For Lamb Ribs

Mike Resler

TVWBB Super Fan
My local Wally World had cyropac Lamb breast ribs marked down to $1.25/lb this morning, so I bought 2 racks.

Doing a web search for a recipe, I settled on this as a marinade:

2 onions, chopped fine
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1 tablespoon liquid honey
1/4 cup olive oil
1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
2 teaspoons chopped thyme
1 cup dry white wine
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 tablespoon finely chopped lemon zest
Kosher salt to taste

I have never made Lamb ribs before so I would like some suggestions for a good smoke wood to use with them on my kettle.

(I know grape wood would be a good choice, but I don't have access to any here.)

I'm doing a rack of lamb tonight myself. Rubbed, though, with thyme, oregano, garlic, onion, white pepper, Aleppo, and coriander.

Grapevine is great, of course, but I am quite fond of citrus with lamb or wood from wine barrels. You didn't say what you had available so...50-50 mix of pecan with cherry or apple would be my choice; and I'm with george--not alot.

Thank you George and Kevin for your quick replys.

I just so happen to have some citrus wood from a tree my sister in Arizona had me cut down when I was there in winter. I have not used any yet, but I will give it a try on the lamb!

I also have the pecan, apple and cherry wood, but today I will give the citrus a whirl!

At my place in Mexico I have all kinds of grape wood from the neglected vineyards. Looks like I should go on a grape wood hunt here incase I do lamb again.

Kevin, if you would care to give up your lamb rib rub recipe or approximate amounts we would all be grateful.

Back