Need help with future brisket flat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Randy C.

TVWBB Member
Hi everyone. This weekend I smoked a ~5lb brisket flat. I've done this before with decent results. This time though, I had it on the top grate of my WSM and the lid temp was ~260 degrees and the internal temp was 185 within 5 hrs. It came out with a good taste, nice smoke ring, but was definitely on the dry side. I noticed the flat was thinner that the ones I had before, but was this the only thing that could have accounted for the quicker cooking and dryer meat? Did I cook it at too high of a temperature? Last time I smoked a flat, it took ~10 hrs. Any help would be appreciated.

Randy C.

The thinness was a major factor. I usually do brisket around 225-240 lid. Was it over-trimmed at all or did it have a fatcap?

Randy,

Had same prob this weekend as you....except that I know I should have NOT foiled it...only time I have ever foiled it....not enough of the fat rendered off the cap. Also I know I let it rest an entire 4 hours due to guests coming later than expected (next time I cut it, eat it, and they be damned for being late LOL). Interestingly...after 4 hours...the brisket still was reading 160. Not bad if I say so myself. Either way...only thing I can say is make sure they are a bit thicker next time. Put some fat over them...say fatty bacon. Leave a decent fat cap on them. And ultimately...try to get a whole brisket...with point and flat together with a nice fat cap. Also helps if your brisket is as even in it's thickness throughout as the thinner areas will be done before the thicker ones...hope that helps. Ah screw it....just cook a BUTT...tastes better anyhow LOL. Thx

The flat did have a fat cap. Oh... the flat was in 2 pieces. This was the first time I have seen it this way from Costco. Maybe I'll try a whole brisket next time.

Matt- I also did my 1st pork butt this weekend and it turned out decently. It could have been a tad juicier, but decent nonetheless.

Randy C.

One Word. Costco
icon_rolleyes.gif
Nobody knows why they do what they do.
icon_eek.gif
Bryan

Randy, I cooked a similar size brisket this weekend. My grate temp was 215*. I put the brisket on at 7:30 AM, at 3:00 PM it hit 165* and I wrapped in foil with a cup of beef broth. I put it back on WSM and increased the temp to 240*. Took it off at 6:30 PM put in cooler sliced and ate at 7:30PM. It was moist and tasty, great smoke ring! Try lowering your temp. I always cook around 210 - 220* and have never had anything come out dry.
Nick P.

Yep, I'm with Nick in terms of temp--cook 'em low and slow! It's not unusual for my cooks to take 4 or 5 days. Ok, I'm kidding, but I can turn a 8 hr cook into a 16 hr cook without even trying, and my stuff comes out tasty and moist.

Were I faced with a thin litle ol' flat that was cut in pieces, I'd consider it a good candidate for smoking in a foil pan. It sits there in its own juices and comes out quite moist at the end. Also, if I saw it was speeding to temp so quickly, I'd adjust things to make sure that it hung out in the 160s for as long as it could.

Far better of course to get a monstrous big brisket to begin with, tho!

Not trying to be contrary, but some of my best waba-waba briskets have been cooked between 260 and 275 for much of the cook - just have to make sure and watch meat temp and your signs of "doneness". Just my own experience... 'course, that hasn't always been on a WSM, either.

I agree on the foil pan idea...

Even better - when you do a flat, pick up a butt and cook on the top with the flat on the bottom. No question about good basting then.
icon_wink.gif

Keri C

Time and temp are guides not absolutes, a dry brisket is the function of overcooking.

At the Royal I watched a very good cook take the fat cap completely off his brisket and it turned out very good, outstanding. Now I'm not suggesting you take the fat cap off but it does go to show that if not over cooked the fat cap plays little or no roll in just how moist a brisket end up.

If I where going to cook just flats I personely would use either Fab B or Fab B lite as an injection. This product will help keep a flat moist and decreases the shrinkage. You can get the Fab from www.theingredientstore.com

Jim

I agree Susan...anyone who says fat is "bad" or "icky" has obviously never eaten a mouthful of fat...it ummm, ummmm tasty!!

I'm not saying anyone should trim all the fat but it does show that fat cap is not the governing factor to a moist brisket.

I use the fat cap to protect the brisket from moving hot air, fat cap down, and that has been very usefull.
Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back