Need help with creating super *sweet* ribs! literally!

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hello!

I've done 2 succesful cooks on my WSM. The first with 3 racks, the second with 9 (much trickier!). Both came out wonderfully thanks mostly to feedback, tips and support from this group.

My fiance was born on the 4th of July and we are throwing a party for her on the 3rd. She likes her ribs ultra sweet!

The Britu recipe was too 'spicy' and 'flavorful' for her. She wants more sweet! While I do like KC Masterpiece - I find that it has too much smoke flavor in it. I don't think the BRITU recipe with just adding honey removes that artificual smoke flavor. Why use a glaze that has artificial smoke in it when you are legitimately smoking? That escapes me.

Do any of you pitmasters or fellow WSM'ers have any rub or glaze recipes you might be able to share with me that will deliver a predominently sweet flavor? I don't want the ribs to taste like cotton candy, but I think what i'm going for is to have an initial ultra sweet flavor followed by a well smoked piece of meat. So the rub should probably cut down on the garlics/cumins/chili-powders and increase the sugars while not necessarily removing the spice. Anybody have experience here with producing a really sweet babyback rib on the WSM?

I'll be cooking 9 racks. And using Apple wood exclusively. Probably about 5 chunks smaller than that required by BRITU.

Any ideas or suggestions for rubs and glazes/sauces will be very much appreciated!

Thanks,
-Willie

Willie,
Try basting with apple juice throughout the smoke. I am like you too I do not care for the aritficial smoke flavor in the KC BBQ sauce. Try "Stubbs" original BBQ sauce mixed with honey. About a 3 to 1 ratio. I usually start basting during the last hour of the cook. The ribs turn out sweet but not too sweet. You can also add a bit more sugar to your rub. Good luck!

WillieV,

Try Sweet Baby Ray's Original BBQ Sauce. It is sweet, no hint of spice and if it isn't sweet enough for her, add some honey; or have her dip the rib in the sugar bowl /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Try literally basting some of the ribs with honey near the end of the cook. I like sweet ribs sometimes, myself, and I tried that a few times. I REALLY liked the results. I used a relatively spicy rub with a litte cinnamon in it (now don't roll your eyes at that!), painted warm honey onto the meat side of the ribs, and ran the heat up to help set up the glaze. Yum...

Keri C, smokin' on Tulsa Time

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bruce Bissonnette:
WillieV,

Try Sweet Baby Ray's Original BBQ Sauce. It is sweet, no hint of spice and if it isn't sweet enough for her, add some honey; or have her dip the rib in the sugar bowl /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was also going to mention SBR's sauce. They do make one with honey already in it. Too sweet for my tastes though.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
The Britu recipe was too 'spicy' and 'flavorful' for her. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know what you mean, but I just had to laugh.... too "flavorful."

Hello Willie,

One thing that I have tried to increase the sweetness of the final rib product is to use Red Raspberry Jam. Instead of using mustard to get the rub to stick to the ribs I have used a thin layer of jam to cover the ribs and then apply the rub. I have even allowed the ribs to set overnight with the jam and then applied the rub with two hours to go.

The jam gives a sweet taste without altering the rub or the sauce. If you feel adventurous give it a try and good luck.

Troy

Thanks all for your suggestions.

Here's what I'm gonna try. Cook off starts tomorrow at 11am, done by 5:30. Cooking 9 BB racks, prepped them and cut them in half so that I can fit 9 halfs each on 2 charbroil rib racks (w/2 stacked on top). Gonna try to keep temp at 225. After 2.5 hours I'm switching ribs/racks - turning each rib end over end and rotating thru the rib rack, ultimately switching grates entirely. After 3.5 hours, I'm going to remove and then foil ribs (when cooking for family, must always foil! Because according to family, tender ribs = great ribs). Gonna add just a little bit of apple juice within each foil packet. Discard rib racks at this time then place ribs back on grates stacked in foil. Cook for 2 more hours. Remove ribs from foil, baste with sauce and glaze for one hour, stacked naked with glaze. The details:

> Using 4 lemon size pieces of Apple wood and 2 Pecan wood

> Rub was a modification of BRITU. I cut down on cumin, salt, chili powder, cayenne. I substituted turbinado sugar for brown and increased dosage from 1/2 cup to 1 cup. Rubbed generously.

> Gonna glaze with 2.5 bottles of Sweet Baby Ray tempered with about a quarter cup of molasses. Hopefully this will be sweet enuf!

----

I'll let everybody know how it goes and if I was able to create an ultra sweet rib that doesn't completely kill all the complex flavors of the pork/rub/smoke but satisfies the masses that have sweet tooths.

Thanks again to everybody who posted. You guys rock.

-Willie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back