Need help/suggestions for baby back ribs

Chris P.

TVWBB Member
Hey all -

I've volunteered to smoke some baby back ribs for the coming weekend and there are a few complications I could use some help with.

1. How many slabs of baby backs can I reasonably expect to get on my 18" WSM? I have two rib racks that can hold four each, but I'm open to rolling them up and using skewers if that helps. I've never rolled ribs before so I don't know how "tightly" they can be rolled or how many I could expect to fit in the WSM. I'd really like to get 10-12 racks, but if 8 is the best I'm going to do, I'll just go with the rib racks I already have.

2. I have to start the ribs on Friday morning, get them done by 3:00 PM or so, transport them a couple hours away, store them overnight, and reheat them on Saturday afternoon. I will have a propane grill for the reheating. Do I need to tightly wrap each slab for storage? What I'd really prefer to do is cut each rack into thirds or possibly quarters, put all the pieces into a large foil pan, and store them that way (I'm looking for easy). Bad idea? The reheating is complex too, as I'd ideally like all the ribs to be ready to eat at the same time. I'm not sure how achievable that would be, as I don't think the warming process will be very even if I stack up the foil-wrapped racks in the grill. I'm not sure how my foil pan idea would perform for reheating either.

Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks in advance.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chris P.:
Hey all -

I've volunteered to smoke some baby back ribs for the coming weekend and there are a few complications I could use some help with.

1. How many slabs of baby backs can I reasonably expect to get on my 18" WSM? I have two rib racks that can hold four each, but I'm open to rolling them up and using skewers if that helps. I've never rolled ribs before so I don't know how "tightly" they can be rolled or how many I could expect to fit in the WSM. I'd really like to get 10-12 racks, but if 8 is the best I'm going to do, I'll just go with the rib racks I already have.

2. I have to start the ribs on Friday morning, get them done by 3:00 PM or so, transport them a couple hours away, store them overnight, and reheat them on Saturday afternoon. I will have a propane grill for the reheating. Do I need to tightly wrap each slab for storage? What I'd really prefer to do is cut each rack into thirds or possibly quarters, put all the pieces into a large foil pan, and store them that way (I'm looking for easy). Bad idea? The reheating is complex too, as I'd ideally like all the ribs to be ready to eat at the same time. I'm not sure how achievable that would be, as I don't think the warming process will be very even if I stack up the foil-wrapped racks in the grill. I'm not sure how my foil pan idea would perform for reheating either.

Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks in advance. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You can get 6 racks on each grate. Here's 12 racks on an 18" WSM
loinbacks1.jpg
loinbacks2.jpg

Since you are reheating the next day, I would cool the ribs thoroughly and then wrap the racks individually in aluminum foil with a littl sauce spread over each rack. Then on saturday you can stack the ribs ontop of each other on the gasser and reheat like that rotating the racks every 15 minutes or so, or until warmed through. This way you can serve each rack on an as needed basis and keep them hot while serving, versus having a bunch of cut up ribs sitting around drying out.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">or until warmed through. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
This is operative. You need to get them only to serving temp, not much higher lest they cook more.

Back