Need help selecting an ATC for a WSM 18"

Paul Romesburg

Hi All,

Never owned an ATC and think I need one - tired of getting up every hr. on a long smoke! Right now I have a an 18" WSM and I might get a 22" to replace it. I never plan to compete and I don't foresee myself needing to run two pits at once, though I'll want to monitor two or more meats at once. Money is not an issue on ATC selection.

Here is what I *think* I'm looking for:
* not battery operated, want a plug-in
* able to monitor temp of more than one meat at a time
* Able to remotely alert me so I can get a wake-up while I'm sleeping
* Not too complicated to learn
* Good build quality - I'd rather smoke than troubleshoot
* Expandability is nice but not a high priority.

Never having had an ATC before perhaps there are some things I have not yet considered that should be?

Any recommendations?

Thanks

Hi Paul. I have held off responding so far, because I did not want to be accused of being a stoker zealot.
icon_smile.gif

That being said, I am going to first address this bit here:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Never owned an ATC and think I need one - tired of getting up every hr. on a long smoke! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Although an ATC will 'solve' this prolem, you definitely do NOT need an ATC to solve it. On a WSM18 you should be able to get 12 hours(or much more) of relatively stable temperatures without doing much, if any, tending. Light the cooker using a minion method style or variant, and it will run unattended for hours upon hours. Before going the ATC route, look in to this method of running the cooker, if only for educational purposes.

Now ... I recommend a stoker, especially since you mentioned "money is not an issue". The cost of the stoker is the only criterion for me that goes in the 'con' category. And that is coming from a guy who has purchased 3 blowers, 2 controllers, and various probes and accesories. So, obviously, I think it is worth it.

Set up for me for my original purchase years ago was quick, and without incident. I also hooked it up at the time to a wireless bridge, and immediately had all the things you were looking for: not complicated, good quality, remote alerting and monitoring, etc.

I recently ordered the new stoker model. I had to clear the DB (basically reset the box) when it arrived to get wifi working, but it is wonderful not messing with the external bridge now, and wifi connects every time when I power it up*. Now that i have gone through the process of clearing the stoker db, i simply would recommend that step to anyone that opens the new box.

There are lots of folks that will weigh in on this topic for sure. One nice thing about buying an ATC is this forum will certainly have soemone to help you with it and your WSM.

* As posted in another thread, I am seeing intermittent wifi drops with the new black box, and trying to identify if there is a consistent root cause. I am guessing this will be a simple firmware fix, but I have not even had time to get good data on when it happens, so I have not followed up on a fix. This would not sway me from purchasing a stoker.

Hi Gerd,

Thanks much for taking the time to reply - I greatly appreciate it!

Re: steady temps on my 18 WSM I currently use the MM but still can't seem to get a steady burn for a long time. I wind up having to add more briquettes . . .maybe 3-4 times during a 16-18 smoke. Not fuull portions each time. . .maybe 20 briquettes each add, having started from a 3/4 - full ring at the start. There may be many reasons for this: the smoker is out of round, but I did a pretty good job of sealing the gap with oven door gasket; maybe I'm not adding enough coals; I use sand in the water pan, not water; etc. I'd much rather be smoking and getting some sleep than spending a lot of hours on trial and error to chase down all the little gremlins. If spending $400 will get a steady temp and some sleep on a long smoke I'll gladly pay the money! I know an ATC may not be a magic bullet, but I suspect it will likely take care of a number of issues.

I do see that the Stokers are highly recommended and I'd have no problem getting one. I am pleased to know you were able to set it up easily, as other posts I have read have said that it can take some time to figure everything out.

I saw that BBQ Guru is supposed to be coming out with a new WiFi enabled unit (maybe it's already out)? In many comparisons I read I hear that Guru units tend to be easier to use, or at least a more intuitive interface.

Appreciate any further experience/advice any have to offer!

I *just* got a Stoker and am very pleased with it. For setup, I highly recommend getting it connected to the network and setting it up over the web interface. That's much easier than fiddling with the menus on the front of the box.

The stoker manual is available on the Rock's Web site: https://www.rocksbarbque.com/P...FiManual2012rev2.pdf

Take a look at page 13, as it shows every menu available on the stoker console. These menus can be used to set target temps, associate blowers to pit sensors, or temporarily suspend blower opperation. For me, it is easy to follow and understand. If that diagram 'makes sense', you will have no problem using the stoker "manually".

However, it the stoker really shines when using the simple web interface or the stokerlog program.

If you can hook up a network printer, or connect an ipad or siilar device to your home network, you can use a stoker.

Thanks for the responses, guys. I am feeling a bit more confident in the "ease of use" aspect of the Stoker.

Anyone else with experience/recommendations for any other ATC brands?

On ease of us, if you are going to use the front panel, Guru is supposed to be easier to use. That said, stoker front panel is not hard either. You select the area you are interested in, then drop down one menu item and do your thing. Changing temps and such takes a few pushes.

But as said, the main mode of operation is to use a PC or browser. That way, you almost never need to mess with the front panel. I simply use the display while I am prepping the fire or if I am by the smoker, checking the temp. Otherwise, all control is from inside the house.

Stokerlog can email/send text messages to you, play alarms on your PC, etc. These can be any events such as food getting ready or fire going out. You can even have it keep the food warm if it becomes ready middle of the night and not overcook it.

Another nice thing is being able to share the results of cook and ask for comments/get answers. Take look at the threads and you see people posting them. It is very nice to have a history of how everything went overnight.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Re: steady temps on my 18 WSM I currently use the MM but still can't seem to get a steady burn for a long time. I wind up having to add more briquettes . . .maybe 3-4 times during a 16-18 smoke. Not fuull portions each time. . .maybe 20 briquettes each add, having started from a 3/4 - full ring at the start. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

One thing that may help you get your 16 to 18 hour smoke is to fill the ring up completely from the start, have it just about running over with charcole. With a full ring I can get 16-18 easy on my 18 and 22 with more hours of charcole still left to burn.

As for ATC I use an IQ 110 and am completely happy with it, it does exactly what I want it to do. I really don't care about all the bell's and whistle's plus money was an issue. If money did not matter I would have gone Stoker all the way.
Rodney

There are two types of ATC you'll see on this board, the DIY'ers and the company manufactured ones. The company manufactured are the BBQ Guru and Rock's BBQ. Many DIYers use the Auber.

Plugin - Stoker/Guru various
More than one meat - Stoker/Cyber II
Remote alert - Stoker/Cyber II
Not Too Complicated - Guru various/Stoker ?
Good Build quality - Guru/Stoker
Expandability - Stoker

Other - Stoker is well known for it's wifi capabilities. Rumor is Guru will have one soon

Can't speak highly enough about the Stoker, especially with the Wifi and Stokerlog. That said, do your homework and buy what seems like the best fit for you.

I also can't stress the value of learning temp control without an ATC first. Toys break, power goes out, things get lost.

I have the 18" WSM and temp control is so easy that a simple set of ribs doesn't really require an ATC but the value is the sleep you get on overnighters and when you can't be around for the whole cook.

Hey All,

Thanks again for all of the inputs. I went ahead and ordered a Stoker kit today - turns out they are located about 50 miles from home!. Expect the unit in a couple of weeks or so.

Agree re: best first having a handle on temp control without an ATC. I checked out my WSM last night and even WITH the oven door gasket installed there is STILL some gap due to an out of round body. With the out of round and the some useful updates to the lastest model of the WSM I also ordered a new 18.5 WSM to set up the Stoker on. Am also planning to do some insulation of some manner (welder's blanket around the body), and ultimately build an enclosure for it. I think I'll be able to get the upper hand on the temp control issues I've been having.

Next round of questions on the board will likely be sealing/insulating.

Thanks again for all the comments!

Hey Paul,

Do a few cooks before trying to modify the body. You'll be surprised how well gunk will fill in the holes, especially the door. I've had mine for a few years and the gunk has sealed almost all my out of the box leaks. I'm not sure there's value in trying to insulate the body. The big issue is logistics of putting it on and taking it off during a cook.

For the Stoker, the couple for the blower may seem less than tight out of the box but give it a few cooks and see how it works. If you think the seal is still weak, put thick wet flour on the couple and massage the connector as required.

Note that my Stoker blower seemed really loose at first but after a few cooks and tightening of the wing nut, everything runs tight now.

Good luck and enjoy.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James Harvey:
Hey Paul,

Do a few cooks before trying to modify the body. You'll be surprised how well gunk will fill in the holes, especially the door. I've had mine for a few years and the gunk has sealed almost all my out of the box leaks. I'm not sure there's value in trying to insulate the body. The big issue is logistics of putting it on and taking it off during a cook.

For the Stoker, the couple for the blower may seem less than tight out of the box but give it a few cooks and see how it works. If you think the seal is still weak, put thick wet flour on the couple and massage the connector as required.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey James,

Thanks for the info. On the smoker with the out of round, I've been using it for about 10 years now - the out of round is pretty significant. Probably going to get some larger diameter door seal gasket to see if I can better close the gap, then give it to a buddy of mine.

Thanks for the tips on the new Stoker as well.

Sorry Paul. I didn't read your earlier post closely enough. I believe there was an issue with the older models being out of round. If, after 10 years, the gunk didn't fix your leaks, your guess is better than mine
icon_smile.gif

This is definitely an "IMO" type of thing, and trending off topic but:

If a WSM is so out of round or leaky, I would not resort to gasket material to seal it up or bandaid it. I would really try to correct the out of round either through manipulation or replacement. When constructed properly, these things do not need gaskets or alluminum tape to seal them.

Paul, Let us know when you get the stoker. I think you'll enjoy it and there are plenty of folks to help you if you need it.

In the case of my old smoker I bought it when quite the novice and didn't realize the out of round until maybe 7 years or so went by and I got so frustrated with fluctuating temps I started researching online and that prompted me to look. I called Weber to see about a replacement but I'd have to pay for it, and as I recall it was around $130 or so - about half the cost of a new smoker.

I might take a rubber mallet to it and see if I can correct it, but then again I might just create new problems. If an oven door gasket of proper diameter would seal the gap why not go that way?

I realize I am late to the party but would like to cast a vote for the Pitmaster iQ110 for auto temp control and Mav ET73 for smoker and food temp monitor and alarms. Price was an issue for me and in fact was the primary concern. Though I do not have a wireless connection, I sleep well at night knowing I'll eat brisket the next day and be alerted if there are any issues that need attention.

IMG_0473-1.jpg

Dwain,
I like your fancy way of weather proofing your IQ and maverick, have not seen that one before. I don't understand the placement of your handles though, can't see how that would work very well.

Back