Need help on Salmon...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crstacey

Somebody gave me some Salmon they caught to smoke on my WSM. It was vacuum packed & frozen. After I thawed it, it looks kind of brown and smells pretty fishy. Makes me wonder if it is bad and not worth my time? Please help!

Brown? Not red? Crstacey...I wouldn't risk it. In my experience salmon should be a very dull/pinkish red when it's good. Brown would definitely make me throw it away.

I can email someone a pic if they want. I don't want to disappoint this guy. But I think this fish is no good... I just want to make sure before I tell him I had to throw it in the garbage...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Crstacey:
I can email someone a pic if they want. I don't want to disappoint this guy. But I think this fish is no good... I just want to make sure before I tell him I had to throw it in the garbage... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There are very few fish that smell fishy and are still good to cook. Salmon isn't one of them. Salmon has a fat layer that harbors bacteria. With fresh salmon, you don't even smell the fish. If you're smelling it as to strong, the salmon isn't good to cook. If it were me, I'd thank my friend and blame the US postal service.
icon_wink.gif

-b

I agree with the previous posts. If it's brown and smells bad, chuck it. The color depends on what species it was, but no salmon should be brown. Like B. Foster said, it it smells strong before cooking, it's going to taste bad when cooked.

Griff

Check it and go buy some fresh from the store. Your friend will never know. Better safe that sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back