Need help on Genesis 2000 rebuild

Robert Black

TVWBB Fan
Genesis 2000 rebuild.
Inside the 2 frame connectors made from 34-3/4" x 1" square tubing is a cone looking thing that the 1/4" bolts screw into. These are rusted out and I need 4 of them or an idea to replace or fix this.
DSC00032.jpg

I came across this when rebuilding my last Genesis. I ended up using Epoxy to secure the connectors back into the tubing. I didn't want to mess with calling customer service to see if i could buy braces with the connectors welded in.

I had considered making some out of some sheet metal and using a Tap to thread it but I decided that was just a bit much work for a cross brace.

i would fabricate something. either weld in a tapped piece of metal as mentioned or reweld what came out. no tap? then weld in a nut into a piece of metal and weld that into the tube. nice site for the tube connectors but probably hard to find/get.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jered Crews:
Think this is what you're looking for.

http://www.carpin.com/tubeconnectors.htm </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Those tubing connectors are great! If I had to do my restore over, I would have used those and not worried about the brazing I had to do on mine. On second thought, with these connectors, one could fabricate a custom frame easily and add shelves or other features with little effort.

hdtc-4.jpg
hdtc-7.jpg

Yep, the Carpin Tube Connector is just the thing I need but I contacted them and they only wholesale ($50.00 min. order).

A Google search for "Tube Connector" was useless, thousands of things named Tube Connector.

I'm just going to weld the frame together. Weber possibly manufactured it with the Tube Connectors for brake down during shipping (assembly by customer).

Had I known about the Carpin tube connectors, I would have cut out the entire bad section of tubing and replaced the entire span (see photos). What I did was cut out the center (it had rusted around the bolt hole likely due to heat and galvanic action). I then unbolted the frame and slid a 1" SQ tube through the remaining 1-1/4" SQ tube ends and my replacement 1-1/4" SQ material. I then brazed it, set the lower grill body on and re-drilled the hole. It turned out pretty well. If you cut out a section of frame as I did, make sure you measure your replacement piece with the lower grill body in place. I didn't and had a tight fit.

2rust.jpg

4braze.jpg

3repair.jpg

The end result: http://tvwbb.com/eve/forums/a/...40039023/m/777109945

WOW! RGose. Way overkill for me. Especially if you sold it for $150! You must have had that in parts much less your labor.

My tubing is in good shape, nothing that a good sanding and paint won't cure. I also don't have a welder or oxygen acetylene torch.

I'm just going to use some angle brackets with sheet metal screws or pop rivets:
a0a2d218-dcd2-4eb1-a70c-75e1e92b6812_300.jpg

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Robert Black:
WOW! RGose. Way overkill for me. Especially if you sold it for $150! You must have had that in parts much less your labor. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Robert,

You are absolutely right. I have done other restoration work as a hobby (auto/motorcycle/boat) and I suppose I need to learn that one doesn't shouldn't always do something because they can. I did lose my tail on that one, especially if labor/time is considered. My best bet would have been "as-is" Craigslist for $25. Oh well, I got some nice photos out of it.

The angle bracket will work just fine!

Robert,
I recently had the same issue with my Genesis 2. Both front and back lower cross braces were rotted out right it those connectors. I did call Weber and much to my surprise, they had new old stock braces for far less than I expected. Less than $20 total perhaps. I reinstalled with S/S bolts & washers. Good Luck.

I came across the same rusted out pieces a few years ago while refurbishing a Performer frame. I do not have welding tools so I knocked the rusted bolt holders out and ran a piece of all-thread through the square tube and held the frame together with an acorn nut on each end. The two pieces of all-thread were cheap and the frame is still solid several years later. I do not have photos but could take some if needed.

The tube connectors are somewhat a "specialty item" that I couldn't find in several hardware stores I went to.

I emailed Carpin Manufacturing Inc. as to where I could find a retail outlet and they were kind enough to send me about a dozen of the tube connectors FREE.

I pushed the rusted out connector further into the tube and used two new tube connectors (one on top of the other) to make sure the the tube and bolt stayed straight when reassembled.

Back