Need help figuring this all out

PaulFisher

TVWBB Super Fan
Hey everyone, I have read most of this forum but I'm still having trouble figuring all this out. I am very good with computers but I have never soldered anything before. From what I understand for the heater meter I need the raspberry pi and the other parts listed on the github page. I suppose I would also need the 3d printed case as well? This just seems so complicated and I need help. Thanks for any advice.

Paul

Yeah the HeaterMeter Assembly page has it all. You need everything listed in the parts section, follow the build guide to put the circuit together, install the software in the SD card, and then you'll need something to put it all in. The 3D printed case fits like a glove, but you could also use a piece of tupperware or do what I did which is just leave the raw electronics on the table. Finally you'll need some way to attach the blower to your grill which there are threads here about. It is an overwhelming amount of information, but it's just super-detailed to give you the most confidence as you follow along.

AS someone who is currently smoking 2 boston butts, monitoring my temps with the HeaterMeter/PitDroid, I would say that yes, it is well worth it.

I am a bit like Paul here. Thinking the HM parts would make a nice Christmas gift. That said, there seems to be a few potential updates to the current HM details on GitHub.

Are there different temp probes recommended now? Thermoworks rather than Mavericks?

Does the current version on GitHub support the servo damper/fan combo? (Note that I also like the Ping pong ball check valve)

Appears a version 4.1 is nearly ready for release but I am not sure I am clear on how it improves or adds to the current version on GitHub.

This project would be my first foray into the DIY electronics stuff. A very intriguing hobby potentially. I suspect I would know the answers to my last 2 questions if I had a better basic understanding of the HM via experience.

Thanks,
Dax

Right now, while folks are working hard on the 4.1 board; it is not ready for prime time. Also, since the 4.1 board is not finalized, there is no 3D printed box for it. More importantly, what type of smoker are you using and what are you cooking. Most folks who use BGEs (Big Green Eggs) or WSMs (Weber Smokey Mountain cookers) can do very well with just 4.0 board, the existing 3D printed box, Maverick ET72/73 thermistor probes, a home built blower adapter (stainless dog food bowl and wall anchor bolt), and a 12VDC computer fan. Its a question of waiting for cutting edge (at least a month or two and probably longer because this is not people's full time job) or getting something that works fine now for your needs. I have a working 4.0 rig on my WSM and just smoked a turkey for Thanksgiving. It kept the temperature to within 1 degree of 300 degrees F for the entire cook. I have also done numerous briskets and rib racks through the summer at 225 degrees F. I am very happy and do not have a need for the damper. That is just my opinion, you may have different needs.

That said, the issue of probe longevity and heat range has come up. The Maverick ET72/73 probes have a rubber gasket at the probe end and have been known to die, They are not rated for high heat. If you plan to use your smoker for high heat (like a pizza / tandoori oven) then I would wait for the thermocouple support in 4.1.

Hope this helps,

-- Mache

Right now, while folks are working hard on the 4.1 board; it is not ready for prime time. Also, since the 4.1 board is not finalized, there is no 3D printed box for it. More importantly, what type of smoker are you using and what are you cooking. Most folks who use BGEs (Big Green Eggs) or WSMs (Weber Smokey Mountain cookers) can do very well with just 4.0 board, the existing 3D printed box, Maverick ET72/73 thermistor probes, a home built blower adapter (stainless dog food bowl and wall anchor bolt), and a 12VDC computer fan. Its a question of waiting for cutting edge (at least a month or two and probably longer because this is not people's full time job) or getting something that works fine now for your needs. I have a working 4.0 rig on my WSM and just smoked a turkey for Thanksgiving. It kept the temperature to within 1 degree of 300 degrees F for the entire cook. I have also done numerous briskets and rib racks through the summer at 225 degrees F. I am very happy and do not have a need for the damper. That is just my opinion, you may have different needs.

That said, the issue of probe longevity and heat range has come up. The Maverick ET72/73 probes have a rubber gasket at the probe end and have been known to die, They are not rated for high heat. If you plan to use your smoker for high heat (like a pizza / tandoori oven) then I would wait for the thermocouple support in 4.1.

Hope this helps,

-- Mache

The current version of the HM 4.0 has support for different probes, presets and you can, if you have numbers needed, use other probes that are not preset in HM. So you can you the Thermoworks(need coefficient numbers)just fine or ET72/73, ET732, ect...........

So what would be the best probes to get at this point? From what I've read the Mavericks aren't very good and don't last very long. I just ordered all the parts so I should have this thing together hopefully before Christmas.

Thanks guys

So what would be the best probes to get at this point? From what I've read the Mavericks aren't very good and don't last very long. I just ordered all the parts so I should have this thing together hopefully before Christmas.

Thanks guys

I have been using maverick probes for years with no issues. You only run into trouble when you stop bbq'ing and get to grilling temps. I'm not exactly sure why you would need an HM to cook a steak or a pizza that is only on the grill for a few minutes anyway, but to each his own. I routinely use mine up to 400F and have never replaced them.

I have been using maverick probes for years with no issues. You only run into trouble when you stop bbq'ing and get to grilling temps. I'm not exactly sure why you would need an HM to cook a steak or a pizza that is only on the grill for a few minutes anyway, but to each his own. I routinely use mine up to 400F and have never replaced them.

Thanks Tom which ones do you have?

Back