Need dry rub for Butt

DavidD

TVWBB Super Fan
Thought I might see what other rubs you recommend. I tried the one listed on this site, but wondered if others might suggest a dry rub for my two butts. I plan to cook them this weekend and wanted to try something different. Any simple but proven rubs that you'd suggest?

also, with two butts vs. one, will the cook time go up?

Rita is calling this one the Metamorphosis Rub. It is similar to this one, which I'll call Al Smith Rub. Then there is Butt Rub for Jane, that is similar too. That one I recently modded for a Texas member thus: Eliminate the celery seed; cut the marjoram to 2 t; cut the cumin to 1 t; add 1.5 T fenugreek, 1/2 t ground ground clove and, if you have it, 1 t ground bay.

Note that I don't use salt in rubs. The meat gets salted first, the rub applied over the salt. The recipes note this.

With more meat in the cooker there might be a little additional time to hit your cooktemp target but overall cooking time remains the same.

Davidd, the "Al Smith Rub" on spare ribs is very good(to me). I used the last three chiles on Kevin's list, and I didn't have any powderd bay leaf so it was not in my first batch. Still very good. Maybe gonna use it on butts this weekend.

Kevin, still being an apprentice smoker, I am elated to already have a rub named for me, LOL.
It is kinda neat though.

i came up with this no salt Rub this weekend for my butt and Spares. it is very well balanced. i use splenda brown sugar because i have to watch my sugar intake. if you use regular brown sugar double the quantity. i think next time i'll half the cayenne since the wife said the ribs were a tad spicy for her. i put some on some ABT's tonight and they were awesome as well.

Tont C.'s No Salt Pork Rub

1/3 cup splenda brown sugar(dried)
1/3 cup sweet paprika
1TB coleman's ground mustard
1TB onion powder
1TB garlic powder
2TB pure Ancho chile powder
1TB black pepper
2tsp cayenne pepper
2tsp ground coriander
1tsp ground thyme leaves
1 tsp ground marjoram leaves

Here's one I made up that is pretty similar to the Texas Rub:
1/2 cup salt
2 cups Turbinado sugar (brown sugar is fine, too, but makes it clumpy)
2 tablespoons chili powder
3 tablespoons black pepper
1 teaspoon cayenne
1/2 cup paprika
2 tablespoons granulated garlic
3 tablespoons granulated onion

Back