Need Cooking Recommendations On This Combo

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

G

I'm planning on cooking the following things for serving sometime around noon on Sunday (gives me extra time if things aren't done when I tell them to):

11 lb. brisket (packer)
5.5 lb. pork butt
2 racks of pork back ribs

I know they are all going to have different cooking times (especially the ribs), but am looking for recommendations as to starting them all on at the same time (to get even smoke flavor) or stagger the start or just scrap some of the meat or whatever...I'm flexible. I figure I'll be doing an overnighter just because of the brisket. What should go on what rack? To foil or not to foil during cooking? Little tips like that...I've only cooked on my WSM once so far and that was 3 racks of ribs that turned out pretty good so I'm still new to this thing.

Thanks in advance,
Scott

Minion method, water in the pan, brisket on the bottom, fat side down. If your brisket is long enough to lay on the outer few inches of the rack, take some of the hard fat that you trimmed off and tuck it under the ends of the brisket - that will protect the ends from the direct heat coming up around the waterpan, but it won't block the smoke and cooking. Pork Butt on the top, fat side down, to baste the brisket. Either use a Brinkman charcoal pan for water, or top off your waterpan a time or so during the night, or you'll catch some quick temp spikes if you pan goes dry. You have a decent-sized brisket and a smallish butt (no offense intended
icon_wink.gif
), so you're probably looking at about a 12-hour cook for those two items together, maybe a little shorter on the butt. Try to aim at a temp of about 250 in the lid. If you'll get the butt and brisket on the fire around, say, 8 pm Saturday night, you'll most likely be into the evil 160-ish plateau by around 2 am or so. Around 5:30 am, open the smoker, stick a few kabob skewers into each side of the butt, and prop your 2 slabs of ribs against those skewers so that they're standing up on their sides leaning toward the butt, but still several inches away from it and not actually touching the butt. Continue to monitor the temps of the brisket (in the middle of the flat) and butt. I'll bet that your brisket and butt will come off around 9 am, at which time you will wrap them in several layers of foil, now fat side UP. Wrap a few towels around them, maybe an old sweat shirt or some polar fleece, and lay them down in a dry cooler to have a nice little nap. After you've removed the butt, you may now lay your ribs down flat on the top rack to continue cooking - they should most likely be done and easily torn between two bones around 11 to 11:30, depending on how big they are. If they're a little early, just wrap them in foil as well and tuck them down in with the butt and brisket.

Voila. Lunch. Call me when it's on the table.
icon_smile.gif

Keri C, smokin' on Tulsa Time

Wow!!!

Very nice instructions. Thanks a ton. Can I blame you if it doesn't work?
icon_wink.gif

It sounds like a great plan...now if I can only execute it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Can I blame you if it doesn't work? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Only if I get the credit if it goes well!
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif
Don't worry - it'll go smoothly. Just don't be lifting the lid very often. If you're lookin', you ain't cookin'...

I'm doing roughly the same amount tonight, slightly different configuration. One 12 lb packer and 4 slabs of spares for a neighbor. Ought to be done not long after breakfast.

Keri C

Worked like a champ. You predicted evrything almost exactly, only difference was I started at 9:00 pm instead of 8:00. At 1:30 the brisket and butt were at 168. When I took a nap at 3:00 they were at 168. When I checked again at 6:00 to put the ribs on they were at 167. Took another nap at 7:30 and they were still at 168. I was beginning to think my thermometer was completely screwed up.

Woke up at 9:00 and the brisket was at 190 and the butt was at 200...time to wrap them and let them rest. Wrapped the ribs in foil for 2 hours and when I unwrapped them they were falling off the bones so I decided to skip the last hour of cooking and throw them in the cooler for 2 hours with the other meat.

I sliced and pulled everything at 1:00 and they came out nearly perfect. Everything got compliments from the family.

Excellent directions, Keri. You get credit for the success.
icon_smile.gif

Glad it went well, Scott. That plateau is a frustrating thing, isn't it? That's when the magic happens, though. I still catch myself wondering if my thermometer is stuck sometimes.

You have learned your lessons well, Grasshopper.
icon_wink.gif
But remember - the cook ALWAYS gets the credit!

Keri C, smokin' on Tulsa Time (dba Hot Wire BBQ)

Back