Need an Idea for a Charity Cook

John Sp

TVWBB All-Star
Hello All,
I have been invited to be a chef for a fundraiser at the church where my scout troop meets. A bunch of people will be cooking a dish to bring and serve samples to the attendees. People vote for the dishes they like best by putting money in your dish. The chef with the most money at the end of the night wins for the category. Categories are:

• Soups/Appetizers
  • Salads/Sides
  • Meat
  • Seafood
  • Desserts
I have to make enough for 100 2oz samples. I would like to use my OTG or maybe my big CI Dutch. I also don't want to break the bank. I was thinking of doing my scalloped potatoes in the dutch and my wife is thinking about entering her bread pudding. Can any of you wizards think of an idea for me to try?

Regards,

John

I know it might be cliche, but if you're looking for something cost effective, that will fit and cook up nicely in your OTG, and won't involve too much work, I'd definitely go with Pulled Pork. To meet your sample size requirement, get yourself 2 large (roughly 10 lbs) or 3 medium shoulders, and cook (include smoke) it under 300 for about 6-8 hours, then pull and use a finishing sauce. You can serve it on a slider bun (hawaiian rolls would work), with an optional pickle slice and a few sauce options for folks.

I think it would be a hit!!

Martin

Last edited:
I'm with Martin, but instead of shredding it I'd cut it into chunks. I think it holds onto its moisture better that way. Maybe throw it into some bbq sauce and keep it warm, kind of like burnt ends with brisket. Good luck, and have fun.

Back