Need advise for a short contest cooking time

Mike Schmidt

We have a first time BBQ comp. here in town this Sunday. We have never entered a contest and thought a local one would be a good way to get our feet wet. The contest rules are 3 categories, chicken, beef and ribs. The start time to fire up your grills is 7:30 AM with a chicken turn in at 1:00, beef at 1:30 and ribs at 2:00.

My equipment is a 18" weber kettle and a 22.5 WSM. Chicken I dont have to much issue with as I will do them on the kettle indirect. My concern comes in the beef and rib area. I will use the WSM for these, I have done ribs many times, always low and slow. I have found a lot of good info on here for doing them HH and plan to go that route.

My area of concern is on the beef. What would you guys recommend for beef in the time frame allowed and considering the temp I will be running for the HH ribs? Basically beef would only have a total of 6 hours from lighting the smoker to turn in. This makes me think a brisket is out, unless I am missing something.

Also do you see any problem with doing the beef on the lower rack and the ribs on the top? Any other advise would be welcome.

If doing the beef and ribs together, make sure you stager the position. Ribs on one side of the top and beef and the bottom rack but opposite side of the ribs.

I practiced with a flat for 6hrs at around 300* had good flavor but was a little tuff. I did not foil during the cook but maybe you could with better results. Also if it a first time contest maybe the judges won't be the best either, so maybe they won't be able to tell if you give thin slices of brisket to make up for lack of cook time.

Is the category beef or brisket. I asked because I have seen pork categories be loin or tenderloin

Maybe do flank steak. Shorter cook than brisket, can be sliced similar. At a recent comp, some one passed some around and it was as tender as beef tenderloin.

Back