need advice...hopefully quickly!

Phil R.

TVWBB All-Star
O.k. so I've got a little problem. I bought one slab of beef ribs today, and it's halved. Cooking them on the WSM tonight for a late dinner for me and the woman. Problem is, I've never cooked only 1 slab before. I don't have a rib rack, and since they're halves, I can't roll them. Would it be o.k. to just lay them flat on the top cooking grate, and turn them about halfway through the cooking process? Or should I wedge them to make them stand up a little? Charcoal is in the chimney starter now and almost ready...hopefullly everything will be o.k.

You've got no problem Phil. The only reason ro roll or use a rack for ribs is to be able to fit them on the grate. IMO, laying them flat is probably better. You know beef ribs are a little different. You may want to use some foil at a point to accomodate a reasonable schedule for eating.

Have a great evening.

Paul

Phil,
Laying flat is fine. I'd lay them bone side down. Oh, what a nice day to BBQ, nice and warm today. You are going to eat late, though. Shooting for around 9pm or so? Hey, with all that extra heat, you should throw on a quick meatloaf. It'll be done way before those ribs.

Great. I've got them bone side down...rubbed with BRITU rub (didn't want to mix up another batch of rub, and I love it).

Phil, yes it is a georgous day. I am shooting for around nine, nine thirty. Crack open the beers at about 7...cornbread will go in the oven about 8:45.

Life is good...hopefully these ribs will be too...my first time doing beef ribs. At restaurants, I never normally order beef ribs b/c you just don't get much meat off them. I saw these in the store today, $3 for each half slab, and I just couldn't resist. They do look pretty meaty too.

Oh, beef ribs! I've never BBQ'd beef ribs yet. So, I don't have a feel for time on that. I expect you've done your research on the bulletin board because it seems to me they are quite different than say, baby backs. Enjoy and post how those beef ribs turn out.

Back