Need a new grill.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt Sanders

TVWBB Pro
I'm in the market for a new grill.
icon_smile.gif

My last two have been Char Grillers, which work nicely, but I know they're not as well built as the Webers.

My question is about those little "char-baskets". Do they work well with lump? I like to grill with lump.

Hey Matt;
If it's in your budget go with the Performer, I have 2. I love having a table to work on, and the gas assist is nice. When I light my chimney I just place it above the flame where the baskets would go. I do this when grilling or need to light coals for my WSM. But yeah lump works in it but sometimes you need to shake the bakets around to get the lump to settle. Truth be told I barely use them anymore. The quality of a Weber will pay for itself in the long run, keep it covered and clean it each time you use it and that sucker will last for years.

I second that, the performer is outstanding!Here's how I started Matt. First grill, OTS, did not like the fly away ashes, in the tray, gave it away. Bought a OTG, I felt the legs were too flimsy.Sold the OTG. Bought a performer, which is what I really wanted in the first place but did not want to spend all the money at once.Now that I have the performer,I will never look back. The side table is unbeatable.As far as the baskets, honestly I have never used them.I just bank my lump charcoal to one side of the grill or both sides depending on what I want to grill. You may find better use for them,and others on the board certainly use them a lot.(sorry for long story).

I agree, go for the performer straight away.

I have a similar story to Regina. I bought an 18.5 OTS last year. Recently realized I wanted more room. Did not plan on a performer, but after looking I could not get away from the large work table which is what I really missed. I was always struggling to find somewhere to put tools, plates, etc.. Waiting for my new brick red performer to show up now.

To start my fire, a piece of newspaper under my starter works just fine for me... so while I like the idea of the performer, for now at least I have no real desire for one. I have the clip on tool holders and a small table I keep near my grills.

Jeremy, I recommend keeping your 18 around, it would at least serve as a great place to put your hot chimney after you have dumped your coals.

I agree, the legs can feel wobbly on the kettle, but so long as they don't fall out too easily it's really not a safety concern. You're not going to move the grill while it is lit anyways.

I got the Platinum(without gas assist). I wish i had the performer. Belive me and the rest of us. If you try to save a few $$ today you will regret it a few years from now.

My 2 cents

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I appreciate it.

One other consideration.... I have 5 kids, 4 are currently in grade school, but every year, they keep getting bigger.
icon_wink.gif
Is that 22.5" grate going to cut it? Should I consider the OTG 26"?

Regina,

I see you have a Platinum and Performer. Is the Performer that much better? Are the two side tables on the Platinum as handy as the one on the Performer?

This is my Platinum:
weber-barbeque-one-touch-platinum-57cm-761004.jpg

Performer:
Weber-Performer-841001-0.jpg

New Platinum?
weber_one_touch_platinum.jpg

I rather have the old one cooking wise...The new one for the design. But the performer is the best deal!!!

As for space for your large family... that's a good question, here's how I look at it:

I'm going to attempt cooking for 50 people on the 4th on two 22.5"s. I'm only doing burgers and dogs, and they aren't the only thing on the menu so it's not as bad as it sounds. If it turns out I need more grill space, I can always fire up a third or fourth grill.

I'm thinking in your case, a second 22.5 could be the ticket. Let's consider area in this case:

18.5" grill = 268.67in^2
22.5" grill = 397.41in^2
26.75" grill = 561.72in^2
Two 22.5" grills = 794.82in^2
Ranch kettle = 1118.67in^2 (Weber says it's 1104)

Two 22.5" grills gives you quite a bit more than one 26.75, and 3 of them tops the Ranch Kettle. Hmm, maybe I will fire up a 3rd...

In my experience, 22.5" grills grow on trees around me. I found one in a dumpster, basically brand new. I found one on CL for $20, and I got one without legs for free from a friend who was moving. Less than 30 bucks later, that was complete too. I later made two of them into Golds for $40 each, but that was purely vanity. Even with that unnecessary spend, $130 for more space than a Ranch Kettle? Can't beat it.

If you're set on a performer, adding a 22.5" silver or gold, used, shouldn't be a problem.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Matt Sanders:
Thanks for the feedback, guys. I appreciate it.

One other consideration.... I have 5 kids, 4 are currently in grade school, but every year, they keep getting bigger.
icon_wink.gif
Is that 22.5" grate going to cut it? Should I consider the OTG 26"? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have both. You could get by with the Performer but if you plan on keeping this through their teenage years, you'll want the 26. Especially if you plan on cooking for their friends, parties, or if you want to cook anything other than meat on the grill.

If I had to pick one, it would be the Performer but you definitely have extenuating circumstances.

Thanks guys. The second grill makes sense. I sometimes do veggies on the grill with the meat, and the second 22" could be a cheaper or used OTG or OTS.

Matt I agree with those that recommended the Performer. You will not be sorry buying this grill. I bought mine off of Craigslist three years ago today (It was still in the box), and now it's the only grill I use anymore. Well, I use the 18.5 once in a while.

Matt, sorry for getting back to you so late. I actually dislike the platinum with the two side tables.The tables just don't seem big enough to place a dish, just big enough for my weber gloves and spatulas. When I cook with the platinum I set up an extra side table that I bought on line from KMart. It is a great little table called a personal table manufactured by Lifetime. The performer has a better table, you are able to put more things on it, and even though I don't always use the gas assist, I like the functionality of the side table better.I originally bought the platinum with the two side tables as my "winter grill",I know I am neurotic. I just did not want to mess up my performer, even though I keep it covered.In the winter it stays in the garage.So if I had one grill to choose it would be the performer.sorry for the long explanation.Hope this helps, ask some more questions, it is a big decision.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Shawn Dillon:
To start my fire, a piece of newspaper under my starter works just fine for me... so while I like the idea of the performer, for now at least I have no real desire for one. I have the clip on tool holders and a small table I keep near my grills.

Jeremy, I recommend keeping your 18 around, it would at least serve as a great place to put your hot chimney after you have dumped your coals.

I agree, the legs can feel wobbly on the kettle, but so long as they don't fall out too easily it's really not a safety concern. You're not going to move the grill while it is lit anyways. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I plan to keep the 18. I figure I can use it in tandem of the performer when I need to cook opposite, direct/indirect, of the other grill. It is also small enough to take on the road camping, neighbors, beach, etc. As a matter of fact, I'm heading to North Carolina in a week and am going to take the 18 with me. Figure I have 2 weeks alone to play around with some new recipes.

Just an added note, the reason why I sold my OTG was because I wanted the stability of the "cart style" with the platinum. But as I said I use the portable table with it because I need more room.The performer is better.

Thanks for all the advice, guys (and gals). I went to ACE and agonized for a bit, playing with the Performer and the Platinum. Largely based on the advice here, I went with the Performer. I've already assembled it and cooked some burgers and dogs tonight. It works great, even though I didn't have propane yet.

I'm very happy with it. Thanks.

Matt, you absolutely won't be disappointed. That side table is worth its weight in gold when you're doing a complex cook and need to spread out. I honestly haven't looked at another grill since my Performer got here 3 years ago.

Ok, that's a lie. But the Ranch Kettle counts as an extra room and not just a grill!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back