Need a help with time

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

G

I have 3 slabs of ribs on my new WSM following the
Britu and all is going well. WSM is right on the money at 225.
Question:
I want to do 2 slabs and a 7 lb flat to eat at 1:00 on Monday afternoon. What are my options for cooking besides waking up at 2:00am to start. Can I cook the day before and reheat or finish in the oven the next day? If so what temp should I cook the brisket to on Sunday and how should I heat on Monday? Thanks
KL

Me, I'd put the flat on at 10 or 11 and night and go really low and slow, leaving enough time so you can stow that thing in a cooler for at least two hours beforehand. (I can easily get a 7 lb brisket to take 14 hours to finish, so I'm thinking you can, too!)

Not sure how you'd time yer ribs in there, but I think it means you'd have to put 'em on at sometime in the morning---but not 2 a.m.

You could do an overnight cook for the flat and put the ribs (b-backs?) on in the a.m. Or, since flats are notoriously wierd when it comes to predicting cook time, you could do the flat a day earlier and reheat.

If you choose the latter: I think it better to leave the brisket whole when the intention is to reheat. If it has a fatcap cook fatcap down. Cook till done. Remove to a sheet of HD foil--flip it fatcap up--and rest it on a cooling rack on a sheet pan on your counter. Don't enclose the meat in the foil but pull the sides up to catch juices. Cool 20-30 min. Flip to fatcap down (normally, for resting, you'd leave it fatcap up but you're doing a cooling/chilling thing here); put the sheet pan in the fridge, let it finish cooling, then enclose it in the foil.

To reheat: Open the foil. Pour on a little beef stock mixed with a touch of melted unsalted butter (optional)--say, 1/3-1/2 cup stock with a tablespoon of butter. Close the foil. Reheat at 250 to an internal of 145-150. Slice to a warm platter; pour the juices over (saving some to mix with your sauce, if desired); serve.

I believe I would cook the brisket the day before and follow Kevin's advise on reheating. I think you'll loose something with the ribs if you have to reheat them. So, I would start them Mon at 7, cook for 4 hrs, put in foil and cook for 1 hr and then finish without foil. That should put you within an hour of serving and you could hold them in foil in your cooler.

Paul

Thanks. I think I will check the weather and if it is okay I will start the brisket late the night before. I usally go to bed late anyway and I am an early riser. I will throw the ribs on in the morning. If weather does not look good then I will cook brisket tomorrow and follow the reheat instructions.
KL

Originally posted by Susan Z:
Me, I'd put the flat on at 10 or 11 and night and go really low and slow, leaving enough time so you can stow that thing in a cooler for at least two hours beforehand. (I can easily get a 7 lb brisket to take 14 hours to finish, so I'm thinking you can, too!)

Not sure how you'd time yer ribs in there, but I think it means you'd have to put 'em on at sometime in the morning---but not 2 a.m.[/QUOTE

Which grate should I use for overnight cooking,
lower or upper? Which one gets hotter?
Thanks
KL

The later in the evening you pose questions to Susan, the more difficult it is to understand her answers; however the answers become more and more interesting.
icon_smile.gif

The top grate is hotter than the bottom grate. Most people use the top if they're only using one. It's more convenient. I assume you're using water in your pan. Be sure it's full when you turn in. Brisket flats do have a tendency to dry out, but maybe a 7 lb'r with a decent fatcap will be ok. I don't list "brisket cooking" on my resume'
icon_smile.gif

Best of luck to you.

Paul

Paul, you find my answers inscrutable? Guess I'm a woman of mystery....!

I'd put the brisket on the bottom grate, as it does stay cooler than the top grate. Plus that makes it easy to add the ribs the next morning, when you start them nice and early.

You'll be sooooo much happier if you don't have to reheat anything---just aim for finishing everything early enough to pull 'em off, foil 'em good, and stash 'em in a warm, dry cooler for a few hours before serving. That makes briskets really happy! But I think ribs can benefit from it, too.

Weather calls for rain tonight and tomorrow and a lot of it so I am back to cooking and reheating.
I have the WSM firing up now and will slow cook all day today and reheat tomorrow. The ribs will have to be reheated also. Oh well.
KL

Ken, I'm sure it will be just dandy anyway. Me, I might tough it out and do it in the rain, but I'm silly that way...!

As I would expect, weather looks nice and clear tonight so I could have done the overnight thing.( Murphy's Law I guess)
Anyway, I cooked the brisket 11 hours until it reached 190 and it looks great. I will follow Kevins directions saving until tomorrow.
Ribs came out great also.
Thanks for the help.
KL

The reheat instructions were excellent. The brisket was moist and everyone loved it. The ribs were delicious as well. The first weekend with the WSM was a success. I think a few pork butts will be next up in the smoker.
Thanks for the help.
KL

You are well on your way. Be sure the check out the main part of the site also. Chris has many tips and tricks listed. Mostly, have fun.

AR

Back