Near Disaster turned out OK

Steve G.

TVWBB Member
I put a brisket on Sat night for Mother's Day dinner on Sunday. Meat was on at midnight and I was in bed by 1am. Got up at 6:30 to check the temps and water. All was fine, but I added some water. Went back to bed for an hour and got back up at 7:30. Looked out the window and the panel door was laying on the ground. I run out there and the dome temp is over 400*!!!! I quickly close it all down to try to drop the temps. It took another 45 min to and hour to get the temps back to normal. I know I did not leave the door off becuase the knob was face down to the ground, so it must not have latched well and came open somehow.

Anyway, we went to church and I came home at about 11:30. all was fine, internal temp was near 180*. I like to pull them off at about 185*. We were going to a party for about two hours, so I was worried about leaving it on that long as it could get too hot and dry out. So I pulled it off and wrapped it and put it in a cooler with towels. After the party, I took it out and put it in the fridge...knowing it was several hrs. before we would eat. about an hour before we ate, I put it in the oven at 275* with some apple juice in a loosly wrapped foil tent and baked it. It turned out pretty good actually. It was a little tougher than I like, but was still pretty juicy.

Good for you, Steve. I have cooked briskets by the book and had them turn out worse than yours.

Loren

Back