Natural Gas vs. Propane

John B

TVWBB Pro
I have two Weber Genesis 3 burner grills that are about 10 years old each. They look identical, one is natural gas, and one is propane. They are both Craigs List acquisitions, and I got them really cheap. I don't have a natural gas line, but I would like the convenience of not having to refill the tanks. So I have not tested the NG grill yet. The propane grill works great, and I love it. My question is this, if I go through the trouble to run a gas line to my patio, will the NG grill perform as well as the propane, or better? My propane grill gets really hot and fast. So I am looking for someone that might have experience with both, or even with just NG that can give their opinion on how NG cooks. Thanks!

NG doesn't burn as hot as propane. In order to compensate for the difference, the holes for the gas are larger than than the ones for propane.

link 1

I've got a natural gas genesis and I love it. As long as I have access to natural gas, I won't go back to propane.

As far as heating up "quickly", I can't really compare it because I've never had a LP genesis. I take the full 10 minutes to preheat and burn off every time I use it (per Weber's instructions) and when I go back out there, the therm in the lid is usually around 600 degrees. That's hot enough for me, but you may feel differently. How hot does the propane model get?

To me, the upsides are huge. Last time I checked (this may have changed) natural gas was WAY cheaper than propane, but the biggest thing is in 5 years I've never had to change out a propane tank. It's awesome!

Every time I have to go buy a propane tank for my performer starter, I'm reminded of how much I love my natural gas Genesis.

John
The NG model requires both flow and pressure. The common complaint that Weber (Australia) receives is that the NG Model isn't hot enough.
The problem is not with the BBQ it is with the customers gas line. You need to ensure that your gas line is 1" id from the gas meter to the BBQ to ensure you have the right flow. It does use a lot of gas.

Cheers

I just installed a Summit NG and love it. As with Justin, I pre-heat for 10-15 and temps are 550 - 600. I replaced a propane gasser with this and have absolutely no complaints...but it has only been about 2 weeks. When I ran the NG for my house 6 years ago I had them put a line by my patio for future use so I was all set for the switch when my propane grill fell apart.

Back