Natural gas to propane conversion ?

Wayne Dimirsky

TVWBB Super Fan
On the local CL there is a Weber Natural Gas grill for sale. I don't know what model it is since the guy was at work when I called and didn't have the model info with him. He said it was a three burner and cost $699 new. The grill is still new. He assembled it but never used it. He wants $300 for it.

My question is whether any of the Weber NG grills can be converted to LP? If so, how expensive do you think it would be? The seller said that weber sells a kit to do this but I don't know if this is true or not.

Can anyone tell me what model NG grill might cost $699 new and if its possible to convert this to LP at a reasonable cost? Thanks.

Wayne
 

Jered Crews

TVWBB Member
Wayne,

If it's a fairly new grill, it could be a newer Genesis 310 or 320 at that price. If it has a side burner, it's a 320. But it could also be a Spirit 310, and the most those ever sold for was $399.

Without knowing the precise model, it's difficult to know what converting it would cost. Once you know the specifics, Weber Customer service would be your best bet for prices. I know that personally, I was looking to convert an older Summit from NG to LP. I called Weber customer service and it was going to run me about $250. The biggest thing you'll need is a new manifold and a regulator.

Good Luck -Jered
 

Wayne Dimirsky

TVWBB Super Fan
Jered,
Thanks for the info. I didn't get a chance to call the guy back today so I don't know the exact model. If its going to cost me that much to convert, I will probably pass. Thanks again.

Wayne
 

Pat Smith

TVWBB Wizard
I just converted my Weber Genesis Silver B from Nat Gas to Propane - parts from Weber were $65. Took about an hour.

Pat
 

joec

TVWBB Member
I converted an older Weber (Genesis 2000? has 3 burners and a side burner) from NG to propane and the parts from Weber cost about $130. The grill was free on craigslist and had fairly new stainless flavorizers, grills and burners/tubes so I was happy with the total cost.
 

Henry Niesch

TVWBB Member
A few days ago I bought a Weber genesis platinum that is natural gas. A call today to Weber CS said they don't sell the conversion kits anymore. Anybody have any suggestions what I should do? Its a nice gas grill the previous owners said they bought it about 4 years ago.

Thanks for any advice.

Henry
 

Shawn W

TVWBB Emerald Member
See if you can get them or a parts dealer to sell you a REPLACEMENT LP manifold for your model, don't ask for a 'conversion kit', tell them its a EP310LP for example even if it's a NG. From there you will simply need a hose and regulator, might need one extra brass fitting to connect the hose to the manifold.

The manifolds are available as parts but in Canada at least there seems to be a trend to put distance between conversions, accidents and lawsuits and owners and the manufacturers.
 

Richard_

New member
Originally posted by Henry Niesch:
A few days ago I bought a Weber genesis platinum that is natural gas. A call today to Weber CS said they don't sell the conversion kits anymore. Anybody have any suggestions what I should do? Its a nice gas grill the previous owners said they bought it about 4 years ago.

Thanks for any advice.



Henry

do you want to get rid of the NG parts when you convert it , my brother has a Genesis 1000 that is LP and he wants to convert it to NG
 

Robert Black

TVWBB Fan
Originally posted by Richard_:
do you want to get rid of the NG parts when you convert it , my brother has a Genesis 1000 that is LP and he wants to convert it to NG
I have a Genesis 1000 natural gas and want to go LP. Get in touch with me so we can breed these two and make babies.
oldhippie1951(at sign)gmail.com
 
M

Michael

Guest
Originally posted by Shawn W:
See if you can get them or a parts dealer to sell you a REPLACEMENT LP manifold for your model, don't ask for a 'conversion kit', tell them its a EP310LP for example even if it's a NG. From there you will simply need a hose and regulator, might need one extra brass fitting to connect the hose to the manifold.

The manifolds are available as parts but in Canada at least there seems to be a trend to put distance between conversions, accidents and lawsuits and owners and the manufacturers.
Does anyone have a serial number I can use for an S420 with a propane tank? Weber won't sell me a replacement manifold without a valid propane-based grill's serial number... >(
 

Ron G.

TVWBB Wizard
Correct me if I'm wrong, but when converting either way, there are probably (3) items to be concerned with:

#1 = Hose & Regulator - LP & natural gas work optimally at different pressures, and the fitting required to connect them are different. This is usually a 1-piece assembly.

#2 = Manifold - this is the "pipe" that connects the gas supply to the valves. I do not know exactly what is different for LP / Natural Gas - probably the threaded fitting(s) for the hose / regulator. Depending on which way you're trying to go, it may be possible to obtain adapter fittings and/or drill and tap the existing hole or plug it and create a new one. But, I would try to minimize how many you need - the more fittings you have pieced together, the greater the chance of a leak that leads to bigger problems.

#3 = Valve Oriface(s) - These are the fittings where each burner attaches to each valve. I do not know if the valves that Weber uses have separate orifaces (fitting with hole at the end, where the gas comes out) or if they are integrated to the valve body casting. My understanding is that the oriface/jet size required for LP & Natural Gas are usually different.

Hope this helps
 

Top