Native wood in Iraq suitable for smoking?

Keri C

TVWBB Wizard
Does anyone know what woods native to Iraq might be suitable for using in a smoker? My horticultural knowledge is woefully lacking. I know there is some citrus grown there that work - what about maybe fig? Olive? Any help is appreciated.

Keri C, smokin' on Tulsa Time

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Keri C:
Does anyone know what woods native to Iraq might be suitable for using in a smoker? My horticultural knowledge is woefully lacking. I know there is some citrus grown there that work - what about maybe fig? Olive? Any help is appreciated.

Keri C, smokin' on Tulsa Time </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Keri... your not thinking of going over are you?

Fig, pistachio, almond, olive, citrus, apricot are--or were--the most common. I've never tried date palm. True that it's very soft.

Nick said, <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Keri... your not thinking of going over are you? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
No, Nick - another BBQ list that I'm on is working up a package including a WSM and a Kettle with all the trimmings to go to a stationary medical unit in Mosul, and we were trying to decide what all we needed to ship to them in the way of fuel. Seems that in their area they can find oak, and there may be some citrus groves around there also.

Upon review, I stepped on Kevin - Kevin, pistachio and almond had not occurred to me. Thanks!

-Keri

I don't know all the trees that grow in Iraq, but in general, you can use just about any fruit or nut bearing tree.

I have a pretty good list of suitable woods I snagged from the California BBQ Assoc. site if you want to see it.

Back