National Shrimp Day

Joan

TVWBB Hall of Fame

NATIONAL SHRIMP DAY – May 10​

NATIONAL SHRIMP DAY – May 10

NATIONAL SHRIMP DAY

Each year on May 10th, National Shrimp Day recognizes America’s favorite seafood. Americans eat more shrimp than any other seafood, and this is the day to celebrate this delicious seafood.
We use the word “prawn” loosely to describe any large shrimp, sometimes known as “jumbo shrimp.” Some countries use the word “prawn” exclusively for all shrimp.
Preparing the shrimp for consumption usually involves removing the head, shell, tail, and “sand vein.” There are many ways to cook shrimp. Standard methods of preparation include baking, boiling, broiling, sauteing, frying, and grilling. Cooking time is delicate for shrimp, and they are at their best when not overcooked.
A healthy food, shrimp, is low in calories and high in omega-3, calcium, iodine, and protein levels. Shrimp is also known to be considered good for the circulatory system.

Popular North America Shrimp Dishes:

• Seafood Gumbo: A stew or soup that probably originated in southern Louisiana during the 18th century. Seafood gumbo typically consists of a strongly-flavored stock, shrimp and crab meat (sometimes oysters), a thickener, and seasoning vegetables. Cooks categorize Gumbo by the type of thickener used: okra, the Choctaw spice, file powder (dried and ground sassafras leaves), or roux, the French base made of flour and fat.
  • Shrimp Cocktail: The Golden Gate served shrimp cocktails before any other restaurant. Their menu listed shrimp cocktails for .50 cents in 1959. It is now a Las Vegas cliché. Called the “Original Shrimp Cocktail” on the menu, it is a favorite among tourists and the locals. The original Shrimp Cocktail consists of a regular-sized sundae glass filled with small salad shrimp and topped with a dollop of cocktail sauce.
  • Shrimp DeJonghe: A specialty of Chicago, it is a casserole of the whole, peeled shrimp blanketed in soft, garlic, sherry-laced bread crumbs. Restaurants often serve it as an appetizer or a main course. It originated in the late 19th or early 20th century at the DeJonghe’s Hotel and Restaurant.
  • Shrimp Scampi: This dish has its own day on April 29, and it is cooked in butter, garlic, lemon juice, and white wine.
Shrimp and other shellfish are among the most common food allergens.

We were a day early this year. We had both boiled and grilled jumbo(U15) shrimp yesterday.

HA HA Same here. I do have some left over, but I think I will save it for another day.

You should post what tomorrow is Joan, then we can at least get a chance to get things out of the freezer.....
Like post today,.......and also post tomorrow event.

Ah I see......
I can't keep up I guess.....
I already have double bone in breast thawing and ready to go for tonight...
no shrimp tonight...:rolleyes:
Maybe I should try and find out what tomorrow is before I go home and thaw something out for tomorrow!

HA HA Same here. I do have some left over, but I think I will save it for another day.
Nope, didn't do it. Well, somewhat. Ate 1/2 of the leftovers for lunch. It just did not feel right NOT to eat shrimp today.

Back