Nada in the pan!

Tony Hunter

TVWBB Pro
I am home this afternoon cooking a couple of butts for an office lunch tomorrow. I decided not to use anything in the pan. I foiled it and put an extra layer of foil on top of it to catch drippings. It may be me but it seems much easier to control the temps this way. I have one butt on each rack and they are both running the same internal temp almost exactly. I got the smoker up to 250*, put the meat on, threw on some wood and the temp recovered 250* very quickly. I close the bottom vents to 50%, the temp stabilized at 240* in the lid (225* at the grate) and that is where it have been for hours! Easy peasy! I like this way. I may never go back to water again. Oh, and I am using the new K for fuel.

Tony, Way to go!!!!Have been doing that for the last three months. Can to all the same conclusions you have. Did about 50 lbs of butt a couple of weekends ago that way. Came out great

I just did my first basting 7 hours into the cook. My temp has been holding at 225* for the 98% of the cook. The other 2% was the initial tweaking to get the temp stable at the beginning of the cook. You gotta love the WSM, especially with nothing in the pan. Again, I just double wrapped the pan in heavy duty foil and put an extra layer of foil on to catch any drippings. This is absolutely great! I feel like I have a new smoker - I never putting anything else in the pan.

Here are some pics so far, more will follow...

Here is the raw product; two 7.5 lb. butts. Pic 1 is the packed goods, pic 2 is the untrimmed victims and pic 3 is the trimmed and happy campers!

Here is the rubbed product...

This is a glory shot of Miss Piggy in action! What can I say, she a big ham! Pun intended! :lol:

Here are the butts 7 hours into the cook and just before my first basting. Looking good in the hood!

I will post more pics tomorrow.

Looks good Bro. I have a question though, how thick was that fat you trimmed off? Do you always trim it off? I just put the fat side down and let it drip away, but then again, maybe what I'm getting isn't as thick to begin with.

I was almost going to head out your way for the F-1 race, but couldn't swing getting off work to go. I really wanted to see it, because I think this may be the last year they are there.
icon_frown.gif

Like most, my relationship with my WSM began with a water pan. I never used the Weber pan, instead opting for the Brinkman pan scavenged from my ECB. Water works great, but it's not the most fuel efficient solution.

After a few messy water pan clean-ups, I decided to move to sand. Sand works great, and clean-up is a breeze, but the potential for a messy sand spill is always present. When converting from the standard configuration to the Egg, storing the sand was a problem as well.

After a number of sand cooks, I tried a few with an empty pan. While it's certainly possible, I found the temp swings to be too labile for my style. I want to be able to leave my cooks unattended for hours on end, but could never gain the confidence with the empty pan. I tried an empty pan with lump charcoal cook -- I swore I'd never do that again.

I think I may have found my perfect solution; a ceramic planter base, wrapped in foil. It offers the ease of use of an empty pan, with the mass of sand. I can't claim to be the originator of the idea, but I can't recall where I heard of it either. The ceramic base has just enough mass to help keep the temp swings tolerable, and there's nothing to spill. Handling and storage couldn't be easier.

I found a great fitting ceramic planter base at OSH. I double wrap the top with foil to catch the grease - it's plenty deep enough for the juiciest butts. After the cook, I just peel off the foil and I'm done. I think I paid about $8 bucks for it.

I admire anyone who can routinely cook with an empty pan, because I just can't get the hang of the pace or handle my own paranoia. Perhaps the uniformity of the Kingsford helps with stability, but I usually cook with a Kingsford/lump blend so I might be making things more difficult for myself. To anyone thinking about the empty pan idea, I suggest you consider the ceramic base. It's the sweet spot for me.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bob T.:
Looks good Bro. I have a question though, how thick was that fat you trimmed off? Do you always trim it off? I just put the fat side down and let it drip away, but then again, maybe what I'm getting isn't as thick to begin with.

I was almost going to head out your way for the F-1 race, but couldn't swing getting off work to go. I really wanted to see it, because I think this may be the last year they are there.
icon_frown.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bob,

Untrimmed butts come with a layer of fat called the False Cap - I learned that from this site in the cooking section. Its called that because there is a thin layer of meat on top that gives the appearance of a thick meat layer. I always trim off the false cap and its usually about 1/16 of an inch. I dont mind most of the fat being trimmed off because there is enough marbling in the butt to keep it moist, plus I inject apple juice. Lastly, when the butt is done, the bark is outstanding all over the whole exterior because there is not fat cap there to prevent it. This has been working for me over the past year.

On the F-1 race, it may well be the last year. It really sucks how things are changing so fast.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I want to be able to leave my cooks unattended for hours on end, but could never gain the confidence with the empty pan </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Kevin,

Granted this is my first time without anything in the pan, but I have not had to touch the smoker other than my baste. The temp has been dead on 225* since the I first got it stable about 30 minutes into the cook. I am now 10 hours into the cook and its still running 225*! Very cool!

I think you have two things in your favor here:

* You have probably 15+ pounds of meat in there.
* You have a degree of experience when it comes to vent control.

Were you cooking only one or two racks of ribs, and were on your third or fourth WSM cook, I think you might be having some temp fluctuation issues. Mass helps regulate temps, whether it's water, sand, or meat.

Tony,
Glad to see you over here...
icon_wink.gif
Going to try Tony's empty pan this weekend..I have two butts..so I think it should be ok...
icon_biggrin.gif

Doug is correct about the meat mass being helpful for temp control.

When I do butts, I start with very little water and usually add water as needed to curb spikes (usually adding some water before I go to bed), and bring temps down (in Fla temps want to get hot this time of year).

It would be very hard in Fla to run a dry pan in the summer, especially without a lot of mass in the wsm.

Hey y'all,

The butts got done at 7:30a this morning - that would be 18 hours of cooking. I used hickory wood on the new Kingsford.

This is butt #1. It got to and internal temp of 200* on the top grate...

This is butt #2. It got to and internal temp of 204* on the bottom grate...

I will take my last pic after I pull them at the office this afternoon.

Tony

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kevin S.:
Like most, my relationship with my WSM began with a water pan. I never used the Weber pan, instead opting for the Brinkman pan scavenged from my ECB. Water works great, but it's not the most fuel efficient solution.

I think I may have found my perfect solution; a ceramic planter base, wrapped in foil. It offers the ease of use of an empty pan, with the mass of sand. I can't claim to be the originator of the idea, but I can't recall where I heard of it either. The ceramic base has just enough mass to help keep the temp swings tolerable, and there's nothing to spill. Handling and storage couldn't be easier.

I found a great fitting ceramic planter base at OSH. I double wrap the top with foil to catch the grease - it's plenty deep enough for the juiciest butts. After the cook, I just peel off the foil and I'm done. I think I paid about $8 bucks for it.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Kevin, any chance that you could tell us the diameter of that "base", I was going buy the Home depot on the way home and would like to pick one up.

Thanks!

Success!!!!! Everything went great at the office lunch today. I pulled the pork right here in front of everybody and they so hungry afterwards that they jumped right in; so, I did not get a pretty pic of the two butts pulled.
icon_frown.gif
Oh yeah, its all gone now too, except for the little bit I am taking home for a snack or two.

The people were raving and you could smell the Q on all over this floor even out into the hallways and elevators!

I invited the top managers and directors (as a courtesy of course) and they actually came! They loved it so much that they even kicked around the idea of me doing the next department picnic! What a day! I am going to sleep very well tonight!

Tony, you da man!!!!! Glad everything went well. What took you so long to start cooking without water in ther pan
icon_smile.gif
. Been cooking that way for awhile and haven't found anything major bad about it 'cept being careful when pulling out the foiled pan. Grease catches on fire rather quickly. Just a few singed arm hairs

Tony, Glad to hear it worked out for you.
icon_cool.gif
Empty foil lined water pan is so much easier, IMO. Works just as well when doing a single butt, chicken or flat. Been over 2 years since water has been in my water pan.
icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by paul h:
Tony, you da man!!!!! Glad everything went well. What took you so long to start cooking without water in ther pan
icon_smile.gif
. Been cooking that way for awhile and haven't found anything major bad about it 'cept being careful when pulling out the foiled pan. Grease catches on fire rather quickly. Just a few singed arm hairs </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, I have read quite a few posts where people were saying how great it is but I have been... well... scared to try it! But it actually makes alot of sense because all you really need is a baffle between the direct heat the meat just like with an offset. The empty pan provides that nicely!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bryan S:
Tony, Glad to hear it worked out for you.
icon_cool.gif
Empty foil lined water pan is so much easier, IMO. Works just as well when doing a single butt, chicken or flat. Been over 2 years since water has been in my water pan.
icon_biggrin.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bryan I am definitely sold on the empty pan. My temps were rock steady the whole cook and that makes since to since there is not water to evaporate and change the cooking environment. This way everything stays consistent.

Does anyone notice if the meat is dried out more without the water? Or is it about the same. And, do you have to spray the meat with anything during cook time? Right now, I usually spray twice during a butt cook, with vingegar/apple juice. I have had such good luck with things as is, but would be willing to try a cook dry.

I've noticed no difference in the moisture content. In fact, I've even decreased the amount of spraying since I've switched to no water and I feel that I'm getting better results.

Back