My WSM cart and handle mods

Milan Bartolec

you guys have inspired me to do my own mods even thought i lack mechanical/woodworking skills and tools. Nothing original here, just taking the good ideas already posted by others.

1) 22" WSM needed to get the black "gate handles" - a little bending to fit the 7 1/4" hole centers already on the smoker. had to saw off the tips of the handles to fit under the lid, but pretty easy.
IMG_0456_zps960f7362.jpg
[/IMG]
you can also see my new BBQ Guru CyberQ wifi, that I will fire up for the first time this weekend - GO HAWKS!

2) built the cart "platform". that's it for now, but its on casters and has those cool clips to hold the smoker in place.
IMG_0458_zps2bd4c763.jpg

3) Here's a close up of those clamps on the WSM feet
IMG_0460_zps6f361616.jpg

Welcome to the forum...

Your cart - is that an MDF face? Hard to tell from the photo, but looks like a veneered (layered) core. If it's an MDF face, you really should apply a coat of something to it as liquid will reek havoc to MDF.

Hawks, eh? You're just lucky RG3 was injured otherwise you'd have extra free time this weekend. lol

The plywood supply place called it 1/2" MDO (as in oh, ok) and said it was fairly weather proof and he would have no problem leaving it out in the weather as it is. I'll probably still do something to it eventually.

RG3, We probably are a bit lucky. Just thank goodness for that Redskins "home field advantage" field turf-paint. :0)

The plywood supply place called it 1/2" MDO (as in oh, ok) and said it was fairly weather proof and he would have no problem leaving it out in the weather as it is. I'll probably still do something to it eventually.

RG3, We probably are a bit lucky. Just thank goodness for that Redskins "home field advantage" field turf-paint. :0)

Its medium density overlay and its used for concrete forms and the like too. It has a waterproof adhesive in it that will help repel water but I would suggest coating it just for longevity/appearance. If I remember right you don't want to breathe the dust in from cutting it though as it may be toxic to a person kind of like pressure treated wood dust is. Nice cart though and gives you room to add another next to it..LOL

Last edited:
MDO is ok. I guess I've been working with interior plywoods too long and that's the first thing my eyes/brain resort to. Love the hold-down clamps! Great idea for easy removal.

Being a Redskin local, I catch a lot of sports talk radio shows. No one was happy about the field conditions. Even my relative in WA sent me a "WTH" text about our stadium. And after the game was over, she also sent me this photo and said there's room for me also. lol
1764_580931935266487_864561483_n.jpg

Last edited:
Good choice on the MDO. We use it primarily for exterior trim. The face is virtually waterproof and doesn't easily scratch or dent like most exterior grade plywood.
Seal the cut edges with some exterior paint, I used some for a shelf on my old horizontal and it held up nicely for many years sitting outside.

Tim

MDO is ok. I guess I've been working with interior plywoods too long and that's the first thing my eyes/brain resort to. Love the hold-down clamps! Great idea for easy removal.

Being a Redskin local, I catch a lot of sports talk radio shows. No one was happy about the field conditions. Even my relative in WA sent me a "WTH" text about our stadium. And after the game was over, she also sent me this photo and said there's room for me also. lol
1764_580931935266487_864561483_n.jpg

Hawks wagon has ALWAYS been full !!!! EVERY single home game is always sold out ! GO HAWKS !!!!!!!

Nice storage and mobility . Definitely can put some weight on it when the time comes. I really need to figure out a cart with storage or a side table for mine sometime this summer.

Nice Milan !!! Hey, and your a homee......not too many of us Washingtonians here .lol...

Welcome

It's cool to find that others in the PNW are into BBQ as much as in the more traditional regions of the country.

If I were to do this side table over again, now that I can see the size of it, I'd probably go vor 2x4 posts and 1x4 cross members. Wider base. But it's good for now. Just gotta throw some hooks/hangers on it for the tools and she'll be ready for baby-backs tomorrow morning. GO HAWKS!

So far i like this cart the best. Easy to build and does what you are looking for. Table on the side for storage and your Thermometer. Nothing around the Smoker so you can get to all the vents. Is there any worry about heat when you build a cart like this? I think i am going to attempt this.

So far i like this cart the best. Easy to build and does what you are looking for. Table on the side for storage and your Thermometer. Nothing around the Smoker so you can get to all the vents. Is there any worry about heat when you build a cart like this? I think i am going to attempt this.

Nope no worries... In the middle of a test cook the other day I put my hand to the radiant barrier side o the smoker cart I built and there was no heat whatsoever... So don't bother buying a radiant barrier shield. Just get normal plywood rated for outside use.

Back