My WSM 18.5 Cart - Radiant Barrier, locking casters, and 3 hinged side walls

Jason J

TVWBB Fan
I live in Central Texas and I get TONS of high winds. It can also get quite cold. I had bought some SolarBoard (radiant barrier it is also called here in Texas) and was going to hinge it together to make a wind block and to help reflect the heat back towards the smoker. I then saw someone build a cart on wheels and decided to go that route. Using the SolarBoard and some other wood in the garage, I created this cart. I used the hinges I was going to use on the wind block and hinged all three walls so I could open them and adjust vents if need be. I have 4 locking casters on the bottom. I bought some toggle clamps to hold the WSM in place, but I am not sure if I will be using those. There isnt a lot of room in the cart of the WSM to move around, so I am not sure if they are needed and if I return them, that will be $15 back in my pocket. This project actually got sort of expensive with all the hardware I had to buy to put it together.

Next weekend I plan on painting or coating the wood to make it more weather resistant. I also will be adding a hinged side table that will be held in the up position using cabinet folding arms. I also will add a variety of hooks to hold utensils and also a larger hook to place the lid when I take it off.

I did learn that I will probably never have a job in constructions or wood working- I will stick to project management and computers instead ;) Speaking of which...I should be putting together my HeatMeter Rasberry PI ATC this up coming weekend as well!

Does anyone have any improvements or suggestions? I have yet to test a real smoke in this, so I am not sure of any issues. Do you see any possible issues?

20130120_175143.jpg

20130120_175153.jpg

20130120_175217.jpg

20130120_175237.jpg

20130120_180117.jpg

Looks good! I only thing I can see is maybe putting a front door on it, but that could cut the air down to. Blanket around the WSM in the cart would also hold the heat down.

Does anyone have any improvements or suggestions? I have yet to test a real smoke in this, so I am not sure of any issues. Do you see any possible issues?

Well you did ask:)
Seriously keep it out of the rain. That solar board is just a reflective skin bonded to a particle board core. Particle board is not exterior rated as it's just compressed sawdust held together with an interior glue.When it gets wet it will just swell and crumble back into sawdust.
You could try sealing the edges, but I wouldn't leave it outside uncovered.

Tim

Well you did ask:)
Seriously keep it out of the rain. That solar board is just a reflective skin bonded to a particle board core. Particle board is not exterior rated as it's just compressed sawdust held together with an interior glue.When it gets wet it will just swell and crumble back into sawdust.
You could try sealing the edges, but I wouldn't leave it outside uncovered.

Tim

Yeah I was afraid of that. It will be under a covered patio, but will still get wet in rain. Im trying to think of a way to cover it without it looking too ugly. I would prefer to seal and paint it. I have some exterior paint that matches my house I was going to use. Should I seal the edges and the back and then paint?

Or maybe I should get some outside rated boards and add relfectix to it?

"Does anyone have any improvements or suggestions? I have yet to test a real smoke in this, so I am not sure of any issues. Do you see any possible issues?"

"That solar board is just a reflective skin bonded to a particle board core."- Excellant point! And one that I didn't think of till I read Tim's message, good catch Tim!
The only other issue I can think of is no real smoke yet, you're working too hard on this thing to not use it! "Light r up" and put some meat in that thing!
Good luck and it looks great!

Something I have noticed on most of the "shelters" built for smokers and grills, is there does not seem to be any ventilation to bring air in to the bottom dampers, just the gaps between the walls and floor. I would suggest putting in some sort of vent that would allow for air flow while still eliminating wind on the walls, or cutting a hole or two in the bottom plywood without taking out too much. And I would possibly space the walls out about six(6) more inches each side to allow for better flow and possibly reduce the risk of the wall getting too hot to touch.

"Does anyone have any improvements or suggestions? I have yet to test a real smoke in this, so I am not sure of any issues. Do you see any possible issues?"

"That solar board is just a reflective skin bonded to a particle board core."- Excellant point! And one that I didn't think of till I read Tim's message, good catch Tim!
The only other issue I can think of is no real smoke yet, you're working too hard on this thing to not use it! "Light r up" and put some meat in that thing!
Good luck and it looks great!

Actually I was smoking baby backs when I was building this :)

20130119_182656.jpg

20130119_182831.jpg

Something I have noticed on most of the "shelters" built for smokers and grills, is there does not seem to be any ventilation to bring air in to the bottom dampers, just the gaps between the walls and floor. I would suggest putting in some sort of vent that would allow for air flow while still eliminating wind on the walls, or cutting a hole or two in the bottom plywood without taking out too much. And I would possibly space the walls out about six(6) more inches each side to allow for better flow and possibly reduce the risk of the wall getting too hot to touch.

Im going to be using an automatic temperature controller which means all vents except the front one will be shut. The front one will have an fan attached to it to pull air in when needed. But if I was not using that setup then yes, I would need some sort of ventilation enhancements.

I was trying to use materials I had in my garage so that is why the size. If I was doing it from scratch I would definitely make it larger. As soon as I am done building the automatic temperature controller I will test and see how hot it gets on the walls.

Sealing the edges on PB with paint is a pain as its so pore-is. I can see you're already loosing the skin on the right panel, you can try some J-Bead (1/2") around the edges held in place with silicone caulk.
Or get some Gorilla Tape and center it on the edges and fold over both sides. That stuff is pretty waterproof and tough.
http://www.gorillatough.com/index.php?page=tapes
HTH and keep us updated.

Tim

Sealing the edges on PB with paint is a pain as its so pore-is. I can see you're already loosing the skin on the right panel, you can try some J-Bead (1/2") around the edges held in place with silicone caulk.
Or get some Gorilla Tape and center it on the edges and fold over both sides. That stuff is pretty waterproof and tough.
http://www.gorillatough.com/index.php?page=tapes
HTH and keep us updated.

Tim

When the people at HP cut the board the "skin" peeled a little. It was glued back on using 3M strong spray adhesive. I like the idea of taping the edges. I was looking at the back and thinking I might need more than paint. What I was thinking was to paint with the exterior paint and then use a clear water proofing item like: http://www.thompsonswaterseal.com/w...oofers/waterproofer-plus-clear-wood-protector. I wonder how well that would hold up to heat?

I just use the WSM as is so:

Isn't it kind of awkward getting inside the WSM, especially the lower rack, what with the support bar of wood across the top/front? I would of put some kind of hinge in that top bar so it can be undone and then the whole thing can open up and provide say a three-sided box with the sides forming maybe a 45o angle.

"I was looking at the back and thinking I might need more than paint. What I was thinking was to paint with the exterior paint and then use a clear water proofing item like: http://www.thompsonswaterseal.com/wa...wood-protector. I wonder how well that would hold up to heat?"

A few coats of a good exterior paint is all you should really need. If you still have the primer use that first on the bare wood (SPF?) Thompsons is fine if you want the wood "natural" but IMO doesn't bond well to painted surfaces, and you have to reapply yearly.

Tim

that cart is super cool. thats exactly what i envisioned for my cart and you solved all the issues. i like the hinged panels....put a roof on that bad boy and youre pretty waterproof. i am stealing a few of these ideas when it warms up enough to work outside again..,,,,.nice job ! :wsm:

I just use the WSM as is so:

Isn't it kind of awkward getting inside the WSM, especially the lower rack, what with the support bar of wood across the top/front? I would of put some kind of hinge in that top bar so it can be undone and then the whole thing can open up and provide say a three-sided box with the sides forming maybe a 45o angle.

I dont know. I have not done a burn yet. I will be doing one this weekend I hope. And you may be right- it may be hard to get stuff in and out of the smoker. I hope not :)

that cart is super cool. thats exactly what i envisioned for my cart and you solved all the issues. i like the hinged panels....put a roof on that bad boy and youre pretty waterproof. i am stealing a few of these ideas when it warms up enough to work outside again..,,,,.nice job ! :wsm:

Thanks! I have a few more modifications I will be making this weekend to make it even better. I will update with new pictures when I am done.

"I was looking at the back and thinking I might need more than paint. What I was thinking was to paint with the exterior paint and then use a clear water proofing item like: http://www.thompsonswaterseal.com/wa...wood-protector. I wonder how well that would hold up to heat?"

A few coats of a good exterior paint is all you should really need. If you still have the primer use that first on the bare wood (SPF?) Thompsons is fine if you want the wood "natural" but IMO doesn't bond well to painted surfaces, and you have to reapply yearly.

Tim

Got the primer one. Will paint tomorrow or Friday.

Back