my two best efforts thanks to Peace Love and BBQ

Jeff Davidson

TVWBB Super Fan
My brother sent me Mike Mills book Peace, Love and Barbecue as a holiday present. It took me a while to get to it but it was a great read. Lots of great recipes, tips and tall tales. I came away really liking Mr. Mills.

He includes his competition tested rib recipe and lots of great tips. I tried if friday night on the WSM and my entire family voted it best ever.

Mr. Mills also included the recipe for Big Bob Gibson`s mesquite smoked chicken with white bbq sauce. Believe it or not, we don`t see much white bbq sauce here in NY...or in the east...or in the southeast...and it was fabulous. My wife voted it best chicken ever(!).

I can`t reccommend Peace, Love and BBQ enough.

this is one of my favorit bbq cookbooks. i've tried many of the recipes from big bob gibson's pork shoulder to deviled eggs and all have been great. his magic dust is also quite good. i've tried it on ribs, bcc, abt's, and butts. all tast great.

I've posted my review of this book elsewhere some time ago...it's just outstanding...I've tried the ribs and the chili (the unhealthy variety) and both were excellent...F.Y.I....the chili is by far and away my son's favorite of all time BUT only if instead of the chili beans called for I use "Chili Magic - Hot"...and he also enjoys added cayenne pepper...we like it spicy.

The ribs were excellent because the flavors were so well balanced...I thought they rivaled BRITU but my family still ranks BRITU the best but we shall see when I go for round 2 on these ribs...

I have to say I wondered if he REALLY gave us the true Magic Dust recipe or just a good variation of it...after all, his mother did request that he keep the family recipes within the family...hmmmm...

I HIGHLY recommend this book because while he provides great recipes...his point is that BBQ isn't just about the food...BBQ isn't the destination...BBQ, for him, has been a wonderful vehicle for meeting people and sharing quality time with family and friends...a very southern way of thinking about food that my family agrees with...especially my Memphian wife...

From our own experience, since purchasing the WSM we've had parties for neighbors, friends, co-workers, and family that probably would not have taken place otherwise...I've provided requested meals of pulled pork sandwiches, chicken, and ribs to friends and family who were not feeling well or having some personal issues...so, he's right...it's more than the food...

Pick this book up.

I read an interview with mike mill somewhere and he said that while he did give out the recipe for magic dust, there are 100s of brands of each spice and its unlikely anyone could produce the exact recipe. In fact, our ribs were pretty spicy...I find it hard to believe the ribs he serves are as spicy as the ones I created using the magic dust recipe so perhaps he uses a milder chile powder.

Back